Sharing BRSTV’s video!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I understand that view they are a company who is also selling their products and we all have our biases.
Some of us have learned the hard way. I truly want to believe all the information that Ryan goes to the trouble of putting out there. Sometimes the science is presented as fact a little too soon. That said, I think he’s done more to bring things in this hobby to light than most and am appreciative of that beyond words. I do squint my eyes and question everything tasted there has been some biases, wether intentional or not, in the past

Last edited:

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth, it was always some die off... But it did the job!
I strongly think that although there are people who don't have access to the best live rock, the closer you can get to real live rock the better in terms of establishing a more natural microbiome vs. starting with completely dry rock

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it 10x more expensive? I get fijan & tongan seeded live rock from my lfs @ 3-4 bucks a pound. It starts as dead rock, but it spends months in a seeding tank before its available for sale.
Lucky....the last time I saw live rock for that price it was 1999, my lfs tank rock is usually over $10 a pound, good cultured Florida is over that price.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stand by simply using live rock from the ocean. That's basically all you need to kickstart a natural microbiome.
Exactly. Although it’s not really an viable option for everyone due to availability and cost. It used to be cheap and available in my area, not at all anymore.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I strongly think that although there are people who don't have access to the best live rock, the closer you can get to real live rock the better in terms of establishing a more natural microbiome vs. starting with completely dry rock
See I started with live aquacultured rock (once dry) from the fish store…and I will say I have so many pods in it and now several dozen types of algae lol.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I started with live aquacultured rock (once dry) from the fish store…and I will say I have so many pods in it.
What do you mean by aquacultured precisely? Aquacultured in the ocean like KP Aquatics or Aquacultured at the LFS?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan’s presentation from Reef-A-Palooza is posted on YouTube which I got to attend it and highly recommend you watch it!

You realise they have arms and legs and can post themselves As a sponsor?

I ignore most of their twaddle as it is lightly science based mostly on selling the monthly must have piece of gear.

sbreefco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was saying live rock directly from the ocean. Not a fish store and not man made live rock which is what most of us starts with wet live rock that was once dry or dry rock. Ocean live rock shipped in water directly from the is like $10.
Keep looking, it doesn't have to break the bank.
Lucky....the last time I saw live rock for that price it was 1999, my lfs tank rock is usually over $10 a pound, good cultured Florida is over that price.
Great Florida rock doesn't have to be that much. Keep looking.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shocked. It started at 3 bucks a pound when I started going to this particular LFS about 5 years ago, some days its 3$ a pound some days its 4$. Depends who's working, lol.

Its starts out as a locally sourced aragonite rock that is wet and isolated in a system with two 250g tubs mixed in with the original tongan, fijan and IIRC marshall island rock. Cant beat it for seeding. Loaded with pods and sponges.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new favorite quote about the hobby and life!
520CB6E2-4198-4423-8134-5A86113ACCF3.jpeg
moderator removed my comment, without notation.

Oh that's right.

Last edited:
Back