OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hitchhikers usually aren't difficult to deal with in small tanks and all the other stuff it comes with is beneficial. I think it's well worth the price if you really want to establish as close to a natural microbiome as possible as well as accelerate through the so called "ugly stage".
Well of course it will but at this point a teeny tiny percentage of people are actually using it for a variety of reasons.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How is it 10x more expensive? I get fijan & tongan seeded live rock from my lfs @ 3-4 bucks a pound. It starts as dead rock, but it spends months in a seeding tank before its available for sale.
He was saying live rock directly from the ocean. Not a fish store and not man made live rock which is what most of us starts with wet live rock that was once dry or dry rock. Ocean live rock shipped in water directly from the ocean is like $10.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot more than a "teeny tiny percentage" of people are using live rock...
Let me rephrase beginners that are now entering the hobby and people who weren’t in the hobby years ago when that’s all that was used.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this video establishes what a lot of us already know. Curing rock in a trash can in the dark has long been a staple of starting a new tank. Copepods and "critters" are good. Problems come from balance issues. I don't think a lot of people are going to buy hundreds if not thousands of dollars in copepods for problems when the chemical cures are cheap. I will say it's nice to see the flannel phoenix rise from the ashes of his 360 defeat.

Also: Mineral mud might not be snake oil? But you better buy it wet.
The flannel Phoenix…..I’m dying, thank you for that

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was saying live rock directly from the ocean. Not a fish store and not man made live rock which is what most of us starts with wet live rock that was once dry or dry rock. Ocean live rock shipped in water directly from the is like $10.
Actually most start with dry/dead rock and use bottle seeding.

I've been fortunate to be able to start tanks with live rock that has either come from fellow reefers (family) tanks or from a lfs that keeps live rock available for sale which was seeded from ocean rock. Big difference.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually most start with dead rock and use bottle seeding.

I've been fortunate to be able to start tanks with live rock that has either come from fellow reefers (family) tanks or from a lfs that keeps live rock available for sale which was seeded from ocean rock. Big difference.
Yeah or dry rock lol. Which is not the norm for newbies.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy BRS and Ryan, but I feel like this is going to lead to "SUPER BRS BIOME STARTER KIT" being sold when all we really need to do is make some reefin' buddies and bum some rock and sand/mud from those old tanks.
On the surface I might agree. But hey…..if it works, great. I just know that I fell for the ulns, dry rock, barebottom crap they touted as ultra low maintenance. Yeah, I won’t do that again….ever. Real live rock isn’t available everywhere, well I mean for a realistic price I guess. For awhile, due to the dry rock craze, and import bans no stores carried live rock. Last time I did it, it was the foreign language paper wrapped stuff with a bunch of dead stuff!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the surface I might agree. But hey…..if it works, great. I just know that I fell for the ulns, dry rock, barebottom crap they touted as ultra low maintenance. Yeah, I won’t do that again….ever. Real live rock isn’t available everywhere, well I mean for a realistic price I guess. For awhile, due to the dry rock craze, and import bans no stores carried live rock. Last time I did it, it was the foreign language paper wrapped stuff with a bunch of dead stuff!
Lol I remember buying rock via ebay with the foreign language paper and all. Airport pickups at crap hours and all the 'fun' that came with it!

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The idea that @Bulk Reef Supply is even entertaining aquabiomics is disappointing. It's like they did not learn anything from Vibrant.
See so I wasn’t focused on the product lol and it’s something that I’d never use.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea that @Bulk Reef Supply is even entertaining aquabiomics is disappointing. It's like they did not learn anything from Vibrant.
I was wondering how long it would take to bringing up the 'v' product. I do completely agree.

Last edited:

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I remember buying rock via ebay with the foreign language paper and all. Airport pickups at crap hours and all the 'fun' that came with it!
Hey, bet you got a lot more biodiversity on that than bone dry rock out of Albuquerque (or wherever it comes from)

Back