Sharing BRSTV’s video!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, instead of just posting a link to this video, why don’t you add your thoughts and comments to start a conversation? I’m not bagging on you if it sounds that way. I just think starting a conversation of thought would be much better than a random link. I’m listening now, so I can’t comment yet.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this video establishes what a lot of us already know. Curing rock in a trash can in the dark has long been a staple of starting a new tank. Copepods and "critters" are good. Problems come from balance issues. I don't think a lot of people are going to buy hundreds if not thousands of dollars in copepods for problems when the chemical cures are cheap. I will say it's nice to see the flannel phoenix rise from the ashes of his 360 defeat.

Also: Mineral mud might not be snake oil? But you better buy it wet.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, instead of just posting a link to this video, why don’t you add your thoughts and comments to start a conversation? I’m not bagging on you if it sounds that way. I just think starting a conversation of thought would be much better than a random link. I’m listening now, so I can’t comment yet.
I understand. It definitely changed how I look at my reef. He brought a different perspective that I never thought about things like we cause the uglies and we are creating an artificial ecosystem not the ocean and it will never be the ocean. However, it was about an 45 minutes to long in person after lunch the worst time of the day for a lecture lol….so many people fell asleep including this kid within two minutes he started snoring and his parents kicked him out of the room lol. I just zoned out. It also had some little funny parts and I liked the ending and the quote which may be my new favorite quote about this hobby and life.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this video establishes what a lot of us already know. Curing rock in a trash can in the dark has long been a staple of starting a new tank. Copepods and "critters" are good. Problems come from balance issues. I don't think a lot of people are going to buy hundreds if not thousands of dollars in copepods for problems when the chemical cures are cheap. I will say it's nice to see the flannel phoenix rise from the ashes of his 360 defeat.

Also: Mineral mud might not be snake oil? But you better buy it wet.
No of course not this was just their science experience and results lol.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My new favorite quote about the hobby and life!
520CB6E2-4198-4423-8134-5A86113ACCF3.jpeg

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No of course not this was just their science experience and results lol.
I really enjoy BRS and Ryan, but I feel like this is going to lead to "SUPER BRS BIOME STARTER KIT" being sold when all we really need to do is make some reefin' buddies and bum some rock and sand/mud from those old tanks.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquabiomics is not the next icp that they present themselves as. They are more like the Theranos of reefing.
I agree 100% with this. It seems almost impossible to actually 'test' for diversity. I would love to know how much was paid by algae barn, aquabiomics and aquaforest (all the companies featured). I'm sorry, I'm too old and too leary of this hobby anymore. 90% of this hobby is targeted marketing. From "SUPER CAP'N CRUNCH BERRIES TORCHES" to "SUPER MAGIC IN A BOTTLE FIXER", a lot of it is predatory. I think it's important to separate the BRS message from the actual conclusions. I'm not going to say "science" because I've seen BRS play it fast and lose with "science" before.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree 100% with this. It seems almost impossible to actually 'test' for diversity. I would love to know how much was paid by algae barn, aquabiomics and aquaforest (all the companies featured). I'm sorry, I'm too old and too leary of this hobby anymore. 90% of this hobby is targeted marketing. From "SUPER CAP'N CRUNCH BERRIES TORCHES" to "SUPER MAGIC IN A BOTTLE FIXER", a lot of it is predatory. I think it's important to separate the BRS message from the actual conclusions. I'm not going to say "science" because I've seen BRS play it fast and lose with "science" before.
No I understand that view they are a company who is also selling their products and we all have our biases.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy BRS and Ryan, but I feel like this is going to lead to "SUPER BRS BIOME STARTER KIT" being sold when all we really need to do is make some reefin' buddies and bum some rock and sand/mud from those old tanks.
I stand by simply using live rock from the ocean. That's basically all you need to kickstart a natural microbiome.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, the next fad, nothing more to see here...

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I stand by simply using live rock from the ocean. That's basically all you need to kickstart a natural microbiome.
See I would never! I don’t like hitchhikers…and all the other stuff it comes with! It’s also 10x more expensive and hard to find/illegal in many places.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video is awesome.

And this is ultimately why we can't have nice things.

I think and become more convinced each day that the information age will finally poop out this idea called social media. What a giant waste of time. :(

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I would never! I don’t like hitchhikers…and all the other stuff it comes with! It’s also 10x more expensive and hard to find/illegal in many places.
Hitchhikers usually aren't difficult to deal with in small tanks and all the other stuff it comes with is beneficial. I think it's well worth the price if you really want to establish as close to a natural microbiome as possible as well as accelerate through the so called "ugly stage".

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% agree, but some of us don't live near the coast and/or don't have reasonable access to live ocean rock. Let's face it, most of the new tanks will be started with dry rock. It shouldn't be a death sentence for new hobbyists.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video is awesome.

And this is ultimately why we can't have nice things.

I think and become more convinced each day that the information age will finally poop out this idea called social media. What a giant waste of time. :(
Stop being dramatic or I'll go to BRS and buy you the "ANTI PARTY POOPER STARTER BIOME PACK"

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it 10x more expensive? I get fijan & tongan seeded live rock from my lfs @ 3-4 bucks a pound. It starts as dead rock, but it spends months in a seeding tank before its available for sale.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 117 74.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back