Shark Cage Diving

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been great white shark cage diving at Guadalupe island, way off the Pacific coast of Baja.
Dropped down in cages with airlines and cameras, while the crew chummed the water with beef blood and ground fish.
Kind of exhilarating when a great white makes a close approach.
Occasionally they'd even rush the cages and bite the bars, which could be a bit startling.
But between encounters, standing in a cage can get rather boring tbh.
Some of us took turns climbing out the top of the cages and standing on them, exposed.
Others declined to get quite that close to nature.
I'm glad I did it but the destination is a one-trick pony; nothing else to see and not actual diving in the usual sense.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't really float my boat. We did a shark dive in Roatan a couple of years ago which was actually very enjoyable. Nothing like great whites but good size Caribbean reef sharks. Not really adrenaline pumping but it was cool when they actually let us swim with the sharks. First part is just the pre-dive briefing.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen many kinds of sharks at one point or another.
Except have never seen a tiger shark or oceanic whitetip. If I had ever seen either, I'd have left the water immediately.

Have participated in some amazing shark feed dives at far flung locations.
Outside the reef at Truk Lagoon, we did one where the bait was pulled down by a pulley and air bag system.
Sharks went nuts, kept circling around and attacking it, over our heads, behind, in front, everywhere.
We all stayed down right against the reef to avoid confusing them!
One piece of bait came loose and two sharks starting batting it back and forth, each trying to get a solid bite.
Meanwhile the piece of bait was gradually floating toward me!
Fortunately one of them got it and swam off with it when it was about 10 feet away.
Definitely started blowing bubbles a bit faster while that was happening.

And I remember a solo dive I was doing at Cocos Island.
Found myself in an underwater channel or narrow valley.
I hovered near one wall while hundreds of hammerheads swam by in front of and above me.
Not another diver anywhere in sight.
One of my most memorable dive moments.

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did great white shark cage diving in Neptune Islands Australia several years ago. Amazing experience! (sort of anyway; I went once and no sharks of any kind showed up; went back a second time and 5 great whites circled us at all times)

At one point a large great white attacked our cage about 2 feet from my face, was horrifying, especially given it caused me to jump back and lose my grip. There is a massive gap in the cage and I didn't know if any limbs (or even my head) was sticking out of the gap given so many air bubbles and cage movement.

Great experience, highly recommend anyone to do it given the chance!

My photo album from the dive if want to see some fun photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/V5JafeMtQ2ysKWzW8

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not cage diving, but my son (11) and I went snorkeling with sharks at Discovery Cove.
image.jpg

W@tchm@n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have been great white cage diving in Gaansbaai, South Africa. I was really excited to try it, it had always been a dream of mine to do so.
Unfortunately, as soon as I got out of the water… I had an instant feeling of regret come over me!
Nothing about the experience was natural… they were baited with chum and basically toyed with.

Maybe I was just naive and expected something different before I got there… but I just hated the experience.

I had been scuba diving prior to my cage diving experience and have been many times since.
Maybe that contributed to feelings of it being unnatural… I’ll be sticking to scuba from here on out.

PS. I’m aware keeping fish in a reef tank is “unnatural”… but my guys eat like kings/queens ;Happy

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems amazing, just wondering; how much something like this cost? The achual trip where your in a cage
At Neptune Island it was only $500 for the boat trip and cage diving (+ tip).

The real cost was getting and staying there. We had to first fly to Adelaide, then catch a puddle-jumper to the city where the boat was docked. But due to limitations and timing of the flights you have to stay two nights (night prior and night after). So overall, was probably $1500'ish.

Here is the company's website if you'd like to consider.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have been great white cage diving in Gaansbaai, South Africa. I was really excited to try it, it had always been a dream of mine to do so.
Unfortunately, as soon as I got out of the water… I had an instant feeling of regret come over me!
Nothing about the experience was natural… they were baited with chum and basically toyed with.

Maybe I was just naive and expected something different before I got there… but I just hated the experience.

I had been scuba diving prior to my cage diving experience and have been many times since.
Maybe that contributed to feelings of it being unnatural… I’ll be sticking to scuba from here on out.

PS. I’m aware keeping fish in a reef tank is “unnatural”… but my guys eat like kings/queens ;Happy

I 100% agree.
My wife and I are avid divers, she is a huge shark conservationist. We seek out guides that do not chum while traveling.
We haven't been cage diving, but regular scuba with many species of sharks.

We have a planned trip to South Africa specifically for white sharks.

You can always find a charter that is more into the conservation or photography that don't chum in most places.

1547317705762-1990670213.jpg

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At Neptune Island it was only $500 for the boat trip and cage diving (+ tip).

The real cost was getting and staying there. We had to first fly to Adelaide, then catch a puddle-jumper to the city where the boat was docked. But due to limitations and timing of the flights you have to stay two nights (night prior and night after). So overall, was probably $1500'ish.

Here is the company's website if you'd like to consider.
Thank u

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those looking to go with white sharks out of Guadalupe island. These guys do not chum the water.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

niQo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this in 2007 near Muizenberg/Capetown South Africa. I believe it cost me about $180. It was cool and I have no regrets about doing it. That said, the experience could have been much better. The sea was fairly rough (2 meter swells if I recall correctly), which made visibility not great and seasickness was definitely part of this trip. My wetsuit was way too big (and had holes), so I was freezing. I only went down in the cage once and since I was the last one to cycle out (5 people at a time) I was so cold by the end of it I did not want to go back in. I probably would have gone back in if a really big great white would have showed up, but I think we had a few 2-3 meter sharks circling the boat. Cool, but not exactly what I was hoping for.

If you have the opportunity and it does not cost a small fortune I would definitely recommend it, but just curb your expectations, because you may not see a huge shark.
A friend who went at an earlier time had a bigger shark who was quite aggressive (last picture) and way better conditions, so there is definitely some luck involved.

f99742188.jpg f99790316.jpg f99485996.jpg

Last edited:
Back