Shark egg help

jakeh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an a banded cat shark I am waiting to hatch. Maybe about 3 months olds since I bought it online, no way to tell how old it really is. I came home and he worked his way out of the egg. I noticed he still has the yoke sack attached can I cut it what do I do. I have him in a small breeder setup but he is swimming relentlessly trying to get out
Image1486163575.977568.jpg

OP
OP
J

jakeh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it will absorb the yoke sac as a food source so it can mature a bit outside of the purse. It will go away on its own. If you cut it you may end up killing the pup.

I am just worried it will Stress him out since he's no longer inside and trying to rip it off constantly.

OP
OP
J

jakeh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow i think I will set up another hospital tank for this guy alone he's too premature

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realize that this happens the same way in nature and that in a tank he doesn't need to worry about predators ....he doesn't know that and his instincts are telling him to hide....as long as he can get water through his gills he will be fine. If you let him out of the breeding box, he could get it caught and rip it....if it's a normal reef tank with live rock, you will need to reconsider his home...and leave him in the box till he matures.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 64 46.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back