shark - wound - parasite?

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I recently received a brown smoothhound shark and it had a concerning mark on its underside when I received it. In 24 hrs the skin was gone and flesh was showing. I have it in a QT tank and added prazipro last night. It is eating and swimming normally right now.

The pic with no flesh showing is when I received it. The vendor believes its a type of nematodes.

C33B04BB-6738-4E2F-AAED-A592F263F43C.jpeg 5DF442ED-368D-49B4-9814-2C378481B1DC.jpeg E140BAC7-6524-44DB-A211-8DB853491ABD.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I recently received a brown smoothhound shark and it had a concerning mark on its underside when I received it. In 24 hrs the skin was gone and flesh was showing. I have it in a QT tank and added prazipro last night. It is eating and swimming normally right now.

The pic with no flesh showing is when I received it. The vendor believes its a type of nematodes.

C33B04BB-6738-4E2F-AAED-A592F263F43C.jpeg 5DF442ED-368D-49B4-9814-2C378481B1DC.jpeg E140BAC7-6524-44DB-A211-8DB853491ABD.jpeg

Prazipro won't treat nematodes.

What temperature do you have it at?
How long have you had it?
Any idea what caused the damage on the left pectoral fin?
Are you sure its a brown smoothhound? What is the fish's history?

Just visually, I think this is a Vibrio bacterial infection, very difficult to treat. A lesion of that size makes it difficult for the shark to osmoregulate properly, and the bacteria is very aggressive.

Jay

@Aspect

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are you running a large UV sterilizer? Active swimming sharks collected from the wild very commonly have parasites/bacteria. I would run a large (120 watt or more) UV and keep water quality pristine and feed heavily to increase immune system efficiency. Thanks for the tag, Jay although it looks like a darker Gray Smooth Hound to me.

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro won't treat nematodes.

What temperature do you have it at?
How long have you had it?
Any idea what caused the damage on the left pectoral fin?
Are you sure its a brown smoothhound? What is the fish's history?

Just visually, I think this is a Vibrio bacterial infection, very difficult to treat. A lesion of that size makes it difficult for the shark to osmoregulate properly, and the bacteria is very aggressive.

Jay

@Aspect
I just received it monday. The tank is 74 degrees. The pectoral fin was lighter and has progressed quickly to what you see now. It’s even worse this morning. I was thinking bacteria since I dont see any worms.

Attachments

• IMG_5643.MOV
    21.8 MB
OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a large UV sterilizer? Active swimming sharks collected from the wild very commonly have parasites/bacteria. I would run a large (120 watt or more) UV and keep water quality pristine and feed heavily to increase immune system efficiency. Thanks for the tag, Jay although it looks like a darker Gray Smooth Hound to me.
The dorsal fin is concave which as I understand means its a brown smooth hound. I don't have a UV for the QT yet. I have one coming tomorrow. The QT is 500 gallons.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The dorsal fin is concave which as I understand means its a brown smooth hound. I don't have a UV for the QT yet. I have one coming tomorrow. The QT is 500 gallons.
Both Grays and Browns have slightly concave dorsal fins, Browns dorsal fin are ever so slightly more concave than a gray's. They are pretty difficult to differentiate until they are mature as Grays will reach 4' + in size and Browns stay at 2'. Where did you get the Shark from? I have been looking for a true Brown Smooth Hound for a long time, they are very rare to be collected because they are a deep water species.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
1670422169199.png
Here is an illustration of a Brown.
1670422185260.png
Here is an illustration of a Gray.

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both Grays and Browns have slightly concave dorsal fins, Browns dorsal fin are ever so slightly more concave than a gray's. They are pretty difficult to differentiate until they are mature as Grays will reach 4' + in size and Browns stay at 2'. Where did you get the Shark from? I have been looking for a true Brown Smooth Hound for a long time, they are very rare to be collected because they are a deep water species.
I bought them from https://www.sharkandreef.com The owner is Jeremy. The only positive news is he will be replacing them at no charge if they die. His site currently has grays, but had atlantic/browns listed last month when I purchased.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi

I have not been around an array of sharks but have seen this as I believe called red spot disease. Some causes if I recall were high nitrate, high PH and sand too coarse as coarse sand can scratch them and lead to dangerous bacterial infections. Opposed to bacterial was fungus looking like these red lesions and even ulcers leading to secondary infections bacterial in nature.

Ruby Rally pro would be the medication I see as safe but cannot confirm it is.
One person who has sharks that may know. . . . . . @lion king

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought them from https://www.sharkandreef.com The owner is Jeremy. The only positive news is he will be replacing them at no charge if they die. His site currently has grays, but had atlantic/browns listed last month when I purchased.
Yeah, I talked to him before, he told me has never gotten Browns. That is very likely a gray smooth hound. It's kind of an issue as Browns need cooler water like 60-68 degrees. Grays can be kept in warmer waters like low 70s. Were they listed as an Atlantic Brown Smooth Hound?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received it monday. The tank is 74 degrees. The pectoral fin was lighter and has progressed quickly to what you see now. It’s even worse this morning. I was thinking bacteria since I dont see any worms.
I’m at work so I can’t view the video until I get home tonight.

I’ve kept different smoothhounds in the past - but always opted for 65 to 68 degrees F. I found them to be too hyper at higher temps. It will also cause the bacteria infection to spread faster.

I wonder if you have a dusky, Mustelus canis?

Jay

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at work so I can’t view the video until I get home tonight.

I’ve kept different smoothhounds in the past - but always opted for 65 to 68 degrees F. I found them to be too hyper at higher temps. It will also cause the bacteria infection to spread faster.

I wonder if you have a dusky, Mustelus canis?

Jay
Based on the site reference below I think it is a brown. It states grays do not have frayed dorsal fins and states the lower caudal lobe is indistinct in browns and distinct in dusky.

Brown Smoothhound Shark.
Identification
  • Body slender.
  • Snout fairly long and pointed.
  • Upper labial furrows noticeably longer than lower.
  • Small, visible spiracle behind eye.
  • First dorsal fin origin over pectoral fin free rear tip.
  • Second dorsal fin much larger than anal fin.
  • First and second dorsal fin posterior margins, and terminal margin of upper caudal lobe frayed.
  • Lower caudal lobe indistinct.
  • Dorsal coloration brown with bronzy hues.
  • Fins sometimes dusky.
Dusky Smoothhound Shark

Identification​

• Body slender.
  • Lower caudal lobe distinct, with a rounded tip.
  • Dorsal coloration olive-grey or grey-brown.
  • Fins usually dusky with white tips and posterior margins.

Here are pics of the female for identification . https://photos.app.goo.gl/5EtQpuh3HkSXEuLfA

The female was dead this morning :crying-face:. The male is still swimming around but isnt eating.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Based on the site reference below I think it is a brown. It states grays do not have frayed dorsal fins and states the lower caudal lobe is indistinct in browns and distinct in dusky.

Brown Smoothhound Shark.
Identification
  • Body slender.
  • First and second dorsal fin posterior margins, and terminal margin of upper caudal lobe frayed.
  • Lower caudal lobe indistinct.
  • Dorsal coloration brown with bronzy hues.
  • Fins sometimes dusky.
Dusky Smoothhound Shark

Identification​

• Body slender.
  • Lower caudal lobe distinct, with a rounded tip.
  • Dorsal coloration olive-grey or grey-brown.
  • Fins usually dusky with white tips and posterior margins.

Here are pics of the female for identification . https://photos.app.goo.gl/5EtQpuh3HkSXEuLfA

The female was dead this morning :crying-face:. The male is still swimming around but isnt eating.
That shark is definitely a gray. You should chill the water to 68-70. Also get that UV up and running asap.

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both sharks died. Post mortem it has been determined by a marine vet that the sharks had a type of nematode (as the vendor originally had suspected).

Attachments

• CD4031A9-22A3-42DD-8404-61DF9F8BFCD1.jpeg
    CD4031A9-22A3-42DD-8404-61DF9F8BFCD1.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 44B50C04-4EFA-4ECB-ADBC-BE9EC0933B81.jpeg
    44B50C04-4EFA-4ECB-ADBC-BE9EC0933B81.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 37
  • AC89A6D1-CA31-4C52-B711-A68419C269C7.jpeg
    AC89A6D1-CA31-4C52-B711-A68419C269C7.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future reference, how would a bacterial infection be treated in a shark?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future reference, how would a bacterial infection be treated in a shark?
It depends, but most external bacterial diseases are caused by gram negative aerobic bacteria - I use broad spectrum antibiotics like Neomycin. Do you have a shark with an infection? You can post pictures and give details and we can give more specific advice.
Jay

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends, but most external bacterial diseases are caused by gram negative aerobic bacteria - I use broad spectrum antibiotics like Neomycin. Do you have a shark with an infection? You can post pictures and give details and we can give more specific advice.
Jay
Could I use KanaPlex or Nitrofuran for a bath or qt tank?

IMG_2134.png

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I use KanaPlex or Nitrofuran for a bath or qt tank?

IMG_2134.png
Either of those would be options. I’d start with the kanaplex first.
That’s a weird looking linear mark - more like an injury than an infection. The circular red lesion above that is more typical of shark skin infections.
Jay

OP
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could those be ammonia burns? Turns out the shark was shipped with ammonia levels already at .25 when bagged. Vendor said its fine for sharks to be in ammonia .25 to .35. I said it should be zero.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Could those be ammonia burns? Turns out the shark was shipped with ammonia levels already at .25 when bagged. Vendor said its fine for sharks to be in ammonia .25 to .35. I said it should be zero.
Tips of fins would burn first

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back