OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another shipment in from reef cleaners a couple of days ago. Biggest highlights are more emerald crabs, a second conch, and a really cool (and gigantic) pitho crab! There was also a peppermint shrimp that I bought to test if I could keep a cleaner shrimp (or similar species) in the same tank as my scorpionfish. Sadly, the answer is a resounding NO!

36832F02-13F4-46B2-9083-20748FD29B3B.jpeg
28FD5EEB-08A7-419A-A0B8-A1B2572317E4.jpeg
8A374821-2FA8-468F-BD54-184C26A89292.jpeg

A20FAB42-040D-40B2-AC79-718872D05F31.jpeg

Scorpionfish has been much more visible as of late:
99953F2B-74C3-4F12-B992-9EDAC2DEAC22.jpeg

Lost my cristata torch randomly to brown jelly disease. No other coral seems affected, but it is strange because the cristata hadn’t shown any major signs of stress.

Lastly, my blenny seems to be in trouble. I made the mistake of removing his favorite hiding place a couple of weeks ago when I added the anacro over his barnacle cluster. Since then, he’s been getting picked on by tankmates, especially the angel, and is looking very starved. Wouldn’t be the first time he’s nearly died from bullying/starvation, so I’m hoping that if I can get his old home back in order that he can bounce back to his usual self.

Full tank shot:
C1246073-36DD-42D4-A277-A2F434D2EE9D.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other news, I found the peppermint shrimp chilling out last night - completely unharmed! Funny enough he was hanging out in the wasp
fish’s cave.

Im not sure where he’s been this whole time, but they are really good hiders.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after a week of not finding him, I’ve come to the conclusion that the kamohara blenny had unfortunately died. While rather difficult to feed, he was a really cool fish and will be greatly missed. Ever since the addition of the new angelfish, all the other fish, the blenny included, have been much more stressed out, and the angel continues to beat up tankmates. I had held out hope for some time that this angel would find its place and start behaving like my first one, but I’m starting to see that this isn’t the case, and might need to consider giving him away. While I love coral beauty angels, I don’t think I can continue to let this one harass the tankmates, as the royal gramma has now become the new target ever since the blenny disappeared.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after a week of not finding him, I’ve come to the conclusion that the kamohara blenny had unfortunately died. While rather difficult to feed, he was a really cool fish and will be greatly missed. Ever since the addition of the new angelfish, all the other fish, the blenny included, have been much more stressed out, and the angel continues to beat up tankmates. I had held out hope for some time that this angel would find its place and start behaving like my first one, but I’m starting to see that this isn’t the case, and might need to consider giving him away. While I love coral beauty angels, I don’t think I can continue to let this one harass the tankmates, as the royal gramma has now become the new target ever since the blenny disappeared.
Reefing is stressful enough… Ditch the problem child :winking-face-with-tongue:

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this would be the second time I’ve returned from vacation to a dead/missing Royal gramma. Not sure what to blame, whether it was the angelfish or a screwed up water change before I went away, because it looked perfectly happy and healthy when I left. The birdsnest is looking rather rough and there is excess algae growth, which does make me think that I may have dosed improperly before leaving (and usually I’d be home to correct any mistakes). Either way, the angel’s gotta go regardless, since she’s been a bully to other fish, and it’s not unlikely that the royal gramma was killed by the angel (although unlike the blenny, the gramma never once seemed agitated or struggling, and always ate readily). I’m now reluctant to try a royal gramma for a fourth time. They’re my favorite fish, but I’m just not sure whether it’s bad luck or something I’m doing wrong that keeps leading to the sudden disappearance of the fish each and every time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After cleaning out the tank I’ve noticed that the goby is gone as well. That one really sucks, since she was both one of my first and one of my favorite fish. Some corals and inverts are also in less-than-ideal shape. The tanks are definitely the one thing that I always dread a lot about during vacations.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After cleaning out the tank I’ve noticed that the goby is gone as well. That one really sucks, since she was both one of my first and one of my favorite fish. Some corals and inverts are also in less-than-ideal shape. The tanks are definitely the one thing that I always dread a lot about during vacations.
Sad part of the hobby. Can’t really go anywhere without stressing and worrying. Really sorry about the fish. Hopefully you fix things up

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I just have to find time to get the angel to the store (hopefully they will take him).
Goby is still MIA, given the tail situation and age (I’ve had it for 2 years and was full grown when I got it), I wouldn’t be super surprised if I don’t see it again.

At least some good news is that the anacro colony is still doing well, the damsel is almost through qt (and doing great), and the scorp is still fat and healthy. I’m sure stuff will be back on track soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having to tear the tank apart to catch her, the angelfish is all ready for tomorrow’s transport. I’m gonna miss her, but I think it’s best that she goes back to the store, since she’s now harassing the clowns, even Luxo, if you’d believe it!
11FB4E1A-EECD-48E2-9130-BDF9661E5D2B.jpeg
23F5F52D-8F27-4889-AA0E-9D0A8A8757FD.jpeg

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having to tear the tank apart to catch her, the angelfish is all ready for tomorrow’s transport. I’m gonna miss her, but I think it’s best that she goes back to the store, since she’s now harassing the clowns, even Luxo, if you’d believe it!
11FB4E1A-EECD-48E2-9130-BDF9661E5D2B.jpeg
23F5F52D-8F27-4889-AA0E-9D0A8A8757FD.jpeg
Even Luxo? Wow!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, it’s really one thing after another now, hasn’t it? Because tearing up the tank really kicked up a lot of dirt yesterday, I woke up this morning to a lot of bleaching and receding corals. While I’m gonna diagnose the problem in the tank and hopefully fix it asap, some, such as the birdsnest and anacropora, don’t seem to have as much time, so it looks like the damsel will be going in a bit sooner than expected, as I’m in quick need of a coral hospital tank….

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon returning the angelfish, I picked up some urchins to deal with the algae, as the store was having a major sale.
3921C432-26E6-4F37-AD8E-B8DAD248715F.jpeg

The corals are in rough shape right now, and the definitely seems just as it was a few months ago. The main difference is that parameters are now mostly in check, so recovery shouldn’t be as annoying (knock on wood!) As of right now, though, I’m expecting a good amount of loss from whatever happened overnight. Yikes, I didn’t realize how much of a mess could come out of moving a couple of rocks around!
Thankfully, the anacro is the only one that was hit really hard. The rest should recover, but sadly, the main anacro colony doesn’t appear to have any life left in it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, whatever didn’t die immediately now has brown jelly disease, including my prized torch coral! Man, tank crashes are the absolute worst. It’s crazy to think that a week ago, things were beyond perfect and almost everything was thriving. Between the fish losses and this, things just may be at rock bottom for the tank. At least when one is at rock bottom, things can only get better, right??

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back