Sharknose Goby died via Powerhead

titlefight13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work today only to find out my sharknose goby on the sandbed motionless.. I was crushed needless to say.
My only conclusion was that he got sucked up by the powerhead (it has slender slits) and spit him out. I have hermits and they weren’t even on his body, I also have a slightly larger yellow striped goby probably by two centimeters, yet he was alive and well. I have super tiny black storm, which I don’t even think has a sense of aggression in him yet. I just got him a few days ago so he’s still timid of his surroundings.

I guess where I’m trying to get to with all this, is that: can I run the waterbox with a double nozzle random flow generator? And be fine to delete the powerhead. I have a bunch of softies, one torch, and a hammer. Would that suffice? Do I need a powerhead in the waterbox?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very sorry to hear that, loosing livestock is always sad. :face-without-mouth:

What size Waterbox do you have? Share some pictures maybe? That way, it will be easier for other reefers to give you proper advise.

There are ways about mitigating things entering your powerheads, but it depend on what type you are using.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, A healthy fish won’t get sucked in, even one that small. I’m guessing something else was wrong but there’s no way to tell.

I have 6 Rainford gobies and 2 yellow lines in my 210 and both the yellow lines will sit directly next to the MP 40s, it scared the crap out of my at first but I’ve seen them scoot along so many times now that I’m good.

Fish are used to the ocean so the flow we have in our tanks is nothing compared to that.

But like mentioned there are powerhead guards and other methods to block them if it gives you peace of mind.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back