Sharks and magnesium

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local fish store is telling me that low magnesium may make sharks not eat and starve to death. Does anyone know about this? Thanks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mg is important for digestion, so low mg could in sense show up like you've indicated. Keeping reef level mg is all you have to do, easy to test and dose, and it is very stable so it just something you need to do infrequently. Fish do absorb elements from the water column, not a bad idea to also keep reef level ca.

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. My 16 fish and eel are fine. It's only my shark who don't eat and starve to death.

The LFS told me sharks need it more than fish. Anyone know if this is true

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have already bought a tester. Just don't want to open box and return if you guys say the shark magnesium thing is bullcrap

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish are going to be more sensitive to a mg defiencency than others. The fish I keep, lions, scorps, anglers, eels have been affected with digestive issue that a higher level of mg has addressed. Other fish will not show the same signs. I keep mg in my predator tanks at 1400ppm. Other reasons to not eat can be other nutritional defiencencies as well, as well as thiaminese poisoning due to feeding foods high in thiaminese like krill and shrimp.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does 1kg last you?

We make 1cm x 1cm cubes and feed every other day....so depending how much inventory we have......probably last us close to a year.
1600 doses!!!!! lol We just did the math! I need to buy more sharks! lol Just sold the last of the 4 epaulettes we just had and all 4 bluespot ribbon tail rays (kuuli) got shipped last week.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of sharks can your distributor get besides the Epaulettes?
Too many to list. I’ve been importing for 30 plus years from all over the world. I’ve handled sharks and other large animals for public aquariums as well so I’ve seen a lot. Tank size matters:)

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Too many to list. I’ve been importing for 30 plus years from all over the world. I’ve handled sharks and other large animals for public aquariums as well so I’ve seen a lot. Tank size matters:)
Okay... In that case if there is too many to list then I will narrow it down. What sharks can your distributor get in the 2'-3' range besides, Coral Catsharks, Marbled Catsharks, Brown Banded Catsharks, Grey Bamboo Sharks, White Spotted Bamboo Sharks, or any Horn/Bullhead Sharks?

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay... In that case if there is too many to list then I will narrow it down. What sharks can your distributor get in the 2'-3' range besides, Coral Catsharks, Marbled Catsharks, Brown Banded Catsharks, Grey Bamboo Sharks, White Spotted Bamboo Sharks, or any Horn/Bullhead Sharks?
Are you looking for reef sharks? Black tips? Zebra sharks? Nurse sharks? Bonnets?

can you tell me your tank size and temp?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are you looking for reef sharks? Black tips? Zebra sharks? Nurse sharks? Bonnets?

can you tell me your tank size and temp?
I was looking for a true Brown Smooth Hound for a while but didn't have any luck. I'll shoot ya a message since we already kinda hijacked this post. All those are large sharks that can get 5' or larger.

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. I had no idea about this. My shark is such a little piggies though. Always munching on the LRS I give her.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back