OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the Tunze, a tiny particle about 2-3mm on one side of the optical sensor made it think it was under water. And it wasn’t and I need something that works 100% and doesn’t fail when I’m away. But I guess 100% isn’t possible, so I need a solid back up that’s basic and works, but without the inherent danger of dumping 425 litres of water into the sump from the RO tank.

When I get back, to reduce the chance of particles interfering with the optical sensor, I’m going to put the whole sensor holder into a media bag and see if that prevents it happening again, or at least reduces the chance. I’ll need to see if it affects the sensor, but I assume it won’t as it would just make it dark all the time. And it works in the dark anyway.

Anyway, the Cape Verde sun, constant vodka coma’s have given me the solution which I’ll update shortly, but basically a gravity fed system but with safety in place as a backup to the Osmolator. The one in the S650 has never ever failed and is still in place as back-up for that system

And why does knowone sell float switch holders, just basic cheap holders...... I know how to make them but......

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ok, the tank is wet for about 5 weeks, fish and coral are in, the thing is stable and running well, it survives a Cape Verde holiday... boring times.
So when are you upgrading?
Just kidding

About the ATO, how dark is your cabinet with lights out?
Being an optical sensor, some light should be there I guess, to make it detect something.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ok, the tank is wet for about 5 weeks, fish and coral are in, the thing is stable and running well, it survives a Cape Verde holiday... boring times.
So when are you upgrading?
Just kidding

About the ATO, how dark is your cabinet with lights out?
Being an optical sensor, some light should be there I guess, to make it detect something.
Lol!

I believe the optical sensors use infrared Jan, so they work in the dark anyway

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun, are you going to be moving the large fish from the 650 into the new tank? If so, when are you planning on it?

Ill move some of them, certainly the emperor. Im letting the new system settle for a while to balance/build the nitrate levels currently at around 3. I’m basically tying to avoid the need to use Nopox and I’ve added 10 litres of Seachem Matrix already, and have another 16 litres ready. I have no issue using Nopox, I use it in the S650 and will again if I need to, but it’s just something else to buy/dose and at the moment because I use the Twin Tech Calcium reactor, I dont need a doser. I dose coral colours manually and always have.

And the Twin Tech works like a dream. I went away for 9 days, left alkalinity at 8.5 and it was still at 8 when I got back (note Hanna also has a +/- test error) so basically around the same. Calcium/Magnesium also similar. And I never touched anything. it just works and is so simple it’s incredible. To look at them you think it will never work, will explode or something, but......

I’m concentrating on adding corals for the moment so no more fish for a while (he says!lol)

Also im a little worried about moving them from their established homes because I’ve moved the large Regal Tang who I’ve had for over 4 years into the new system. Before I went away he was scratching on the rocks more than he normally does (tangs do this sometimes). When I got back from Cape Verde he was hiding in the rocks, and is still hiding.

Shaun
Looks great!
Are you planning differences between the two systems or are they making a massive volume of reefage? Is one more sps or biotope specific?

Thank you

The new system will be mainly SPS, but then again I’ll add anything that catches my eye to be honest so I guess I’ll have Just a large ‘reefage’

Last edited:

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a video taken today of the Red Sea S650 following the removal of the rear circulation pumps and addition of 2 Ecotech MP40’s

Super good video Shaun, the whole tank looks great.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been watching the surface movement in the S650 for a while now after changing to the MP40’s because a film was forming on the surface.

So yesterday I raised the MP40’s about 4 inches higher up and problem solved. The surface is now agitated and clear.

Ive also increased the flow on both tanks to near maximum. I sort of fell into a mindset that at night the corals/fish might like a calmer environment, because I might (but I’m not a fish or coral! Lol).

So instead of dropping down flow and into Lagoon mode at night, I’ve reduced the power a bit but were in full Reef Crest mode

It’s great being able to control flow patterns like this, something else to fiddle with!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds great, how close to the surface do you have the MP40s?

I don’t know if fish appreciate the variable flow but it is nice to have it I guess.
Probably about 7 inches down and the overall flow around the rocks is much better as well.

it was a bit of an experiment on placement to start because of the existing rock work and corals but the flow around the whole tank seems better now and the surface has plenty of movement and is back to crystal clear.

The MP40 on the right was sort of pointing into the side of the rockwork whereas know its above the top of the right hand rocks, which is probably why the overflow through is better.

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s great being able to control flow patterns like this, something else to fiddle with!
Are you using apex, the EcoTech app or manual? With 4 Vortechs I’m finding it a bit overwhelming. And it you place them too high you get splashing or suck a vortex. Too low and sandstorm. Challenges!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using apex, the EcoTech app or manual? With 4 Vortechs I’m finding it a bit overwhelming. And it you place them too high you get splashing or suck a vortex. Too low and sandstorm. Challenges!
I control both the Radions and Vortechs with Apex and you need the WXM module (wireless).

They connect automatically (you have to set the Vortechs into a mode to connect them by pressing a few buttons and that’s it).

Once connected the integration is seamless and you have simple and easy control over everything

The MP60s are placed about 9 inches from the surface and nearer the front of the tank than back (I’ve just moved them so their not blasting the rockwork and corals) and I can run them at 100% power with no sand storms. I have a lot of sand and it’s still finding its final place with the different Vortechs modes.

This is an MP60 screen shot

31C4C6B9-FB8B-4C8B-9D1F-55B29B7470E3.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In about 6 weeks time were having a new friend to come and join the family.

its been around 4 years since we lost our best friend Charlie, he was my first dog and we all loved him to bits and were absolutely devastated when he passed. He was a Labrador and virtually pure white. Infact looking at this picture I have tears in my eyes bless him.......

3DC96ABB-D1D4-4EEC-A923-563264F9DC49.jpeg

These area around 2 weeks old and in around another 2 weeks we go and choose which one, how I do not know because there all adorable, but we are having a male. There Fox Red Labradors from a pedigree blood line.

BD060C95-D4CA-476D-A821-0472730B16BB.jpeg
65D71B27-F2DF-4165-859E-44152646E2E4.jpeg

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Charlie pic is very nice Shaun. I am glad you are getting a new puppy, they look so cute.
Thanks Pancho, he was a little sweetheart he really was

When we were on the beach at Cape Verde, there were some wild dogs, but friendly ones, and they would sit by the guests during the day time, and they had puppies the staff looked after.

And it just sorted of reminded us of what we missed, so decided now was the time to have another.

We kept all of Charlie’s things, like kennel and puppy bed/frame for indoors as someday we thought we would get one, and the time just seemed right.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back