OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another one of the SPS I purchased a few days ago. I have absolutely no idea what it’s called! Lol

A2694D2D-39BF-4A12-944D-451038E3D5AE.jpeg

Last edited:

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have interest in taking pictures with a camera in the water avast has a cool looking port for a camera but not sure if they ship out of USA.
thought you may have an interest being your photographs are amazing.

Ther new system looks to be coming alone great.
I tried to go back for tank dimensions but didn’t find them. What size is your display?

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

The display is just under 3 metres long but to be precise
2744mm long
762mm wide
712 high

It’s just under 1500 litres (400usg) and then there is the sump as well which is huge

But it’s looks normal now to me! Lol

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice progression pics .. curious, when all.the rock was sort of sloped out on to a plane was that on purpose and u changed ur mind to the mounds later? Or was that just tossing them in to get it wet?

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice progression pics .. curious, when all.the rock was sort of sloped out on to a plane was that on purpose and u changed ur mind to the mounds later? Or was that just tossing them in to get it wet?

There was no ‘tossing them in to get it wet’ Richard, I’m an ‘advanced aquarist and artist‘! Lol

Its a progression shot, so that was the first part of the rockwork I put it. Then I progressed to ’toss the next lot in’! Lol

No it was just how I placed the rocks on the floor at the start to get some in there. They are relatively heavy when standing on one leg praying you don’t drop one on the bottom. It’s very deep and I can only just reach at full stretch and I’m 6” 4! The tank actually has a double glass skin on the bottom I think because of the bracing etc and although the builders said if one layer cracked it wouldn’t matter, I didn’t want to try it!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was no ‘tossing them in to get it wet’ Richard, I’m an ‘advanced aquarist and artist‘! Lol

Its a progression shot, so that was the first part of the rockwork I put it. Then I progressed to ’toss the next lot in’! Lol

No it was just how I placed the rocks on the floor at the start to get some in there. They are relatively heavy when standing on one leg praying you don’t drop one on the bottom. It’s very deep and I can only just reach at full stretch and I’m 6” 4! The tank actually has a double glass skin on the bottom I think because of the bracing etc and although the builders said if one layer cracked it wouldn’t matter, I didn’t want to try it!
My sincere apologies kind suh
.. I retract. ;)

I didnt realize you have flat base rock across the whole tank, i though each mound was on it's own. I see it now.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sincere apologies kind suh
.. I retract. ;)

I didnt realize you have flat base rock across the whole tank, i though each mound was on it's own. I see it now.
It is Rich, each island is on its own. That first picture just shows the first mound and then some other rocks laying next to it. Basically whilst I figured out were I was going to put them

But I see what you mean. But no there is no base rock along the bottom, just the 3 islands

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is Rich, each island is on its own. That first picture just shows the first mound and then some other rocks laying next to it. Basically whilst I figured out were I was going to put them

But I see what you mean. But no there is no base rock along the bottom, just the 3 islands
Gotcha... 6'4 and u struggle to reach to bottom? That's crazy

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great with the new stock settling in nicely! So glad to see everything coming together.
Thanks it’s all coming together but still a few things to add

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been a bit quiet this week because I flew out to Sal in Cape Verde last Friday. We normally go to the Caribbean or Indian Ocean at this time of year, but weve been going to try this for a few years so here we are.

7746C21C-A85B-46FD-AE5E-67A385E1BEE9.png

One of the things I haven’t completely got a back up plan for is the ATO system. The day before I left the Tunze Osmolator started playing up, or rather not refilling when it should. I spotted it and the cause was a tiny piece of detritus on the optical sensor, and quiet frankly it’s not good enough something tiny like this stops the sensor working.

The problem with the Tunze is, if it stops working, unless it’s a high level alarm it doesn’t alert you. It just stops and your pump can be the alarm when it stops or fills the tank with bubbles. Which is no good to me

I've been debating what to use for redundancy for months, from a basic float switch to the Neptune ATK, but all have problems and can fail and Im not going to pay over more money for the ATK (£200) for it to also potentially fail (like the original one did now in the S650). I wish things would just work as they should!

One of the basic things that haven’t failed me are the standard plastic float switches I have in the S650 for sump /RODI reservoir hi/low alarms which are wired in to the Apex breakout box. I hardly ever even clean then but they just work, unlike the fancy optical versions.

The problem with the Apex ATK is, because this is a large tank, the secondary optical sensor would constantly trigger do to slight fluctuations in pump output, and the large volume of water, as It’s only slightly above the primary sensor. I don’t need to try it because this happened with the Tunze, it kept alarming so I had to relocate the ‘high’ float switch. I know I could relocate the second ATK sensor but I’m not sure yet

I have a spare Tunze Osmolator so I ‘think’ what I’m going to do is hook this additional Tunze up with its standard pump, with the sensor slightly above the primary Tunze sensor.

Then I’ll add a float switch slightly below the primary Tunze sensor so if it fails to top up, Ill be notified and can switch the back up Tunze on from anywhere in the world, or get Apex to do it automatically.

Everything is working fine at the moment including the Tunze, and this is the benefit of having Apex and a HD camera from anywhere in the world

EBA5B25E-532F-4EAE-8363-1CA73D8583EB.jpeg

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the beach.

Call me old fashion but I do not trust sensors to detect water levels as we have lot evap and salt in our systems causing the sensors to fail. I stick with the old floating mechanical systems.

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Call me old fashion but I do not trust sensors to detect water levels as we have lot evap and salt in our systems causing the sensors to fail. I stick with the old floating mechanical systems.

I agree, but there are some benefits if you can be notified electronically. I prefer dual mechanical/electrical setups for redundancy.

I go easy on corrective automation too (Neptune Trident+DOS interdependency for example) - unless it is leak detection. In that case - auto-shutoff my pumps!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, but there are some benefits if you can be notified electronically. I prefer dual mechanical/electrical setups for redundancy.

I go easy on corrective automation too (Neptune Trident+DOS interdependency for example) - unless it is leak detection. In that case - auto-shutoff my pumps!
I agree completely and that it the direction I’m going for the ATO

And thanks for stopping by as well

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back