Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been to the LFS today and ordered the first batch of fish...

Shaun’s 2000 Litre (530usg) Fish List

Green Chromis x 9
Yellow Chromis x 6
Black Bar Chromis x 8
Springers Damsels x 7 (they eat bad things and aren’t as antisocial as other types!)

So that’s 30 small fish reserved. I’d forgotten how much they can cost when purchased in bulk, although it worked out at around £7 per fish
@Fudsey
Prolly both..?

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be stuck on the couch all day staring at this.

I don’t sit there all day, well ok some of the day, but I have to go to ’the office’ sometimes you know to pay for it all! lol

That works. You could also add a DEFER statement to make sure the leak signal is persistent before alarming or shutting off pumps...
Defer 1:00 Then ON
Translated: Defer the ON state for 1 minute. (OFF would be immediate)

That’s a good idea actually I’ll read up on ‘defer’. I might actually leave the switching off to myself though, although I appreciate it comes at a risk.

Glad the alarms were false, sort of.

Man those chromis make all the difference in the world. Already coming to life in a hurry! So glad I caught this build from the start. Epic journey.

Well Im off to the LFS for my ‘fix’ Rich. The fish do make a difference, but there a bit small In the beast.

How many fish did you add Shaun? Chromis and damsels?

30 so far and counting, a mix of Chromis and damsels as per fish list above

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooo yay for adding to the new tank! It's looking great!

As for my Apex recommendation, the Defer command is what I'm using in mine, as well. It's a bit weird to think about, and the documentation is worded a bit awkwardly, but essentially it says that it must remain in the OFF state until the ON signal lasts for however long. I use it on my switches for skimmer and ATO so they turn on a couple minutes after the pumps. You may need to make some virtual outlets to get it to work properly, though. A single defer statement in the code will apply for ALL the on/off signalling, except for the manual override through Fusion.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooo yay for adding to the new tank! It's looking great!

As for my Apex recommendation, the Defer command is what I'm using in mine, as well. It's a bit weird to think about, and the documentation is worded a bit awkwardly, but essentially it says that it must remain in the OFF state until the ON signal lasts for however long. I use it on my switches for skimmer and ATO so they turn on a couple minutes after the pumps. You may need to make some virtual outlets to get it to work properly, though. A single defer statement in the code will apply for ALL the on/off signalling, except for the manual override through Fusion.
I’ve got to get my head around Defer, and we’re to put it in the code

My pump code is currently just as below so always on, and not under the advanced section

Fallback On
Set On

The leak detector is LKTANK

So how would you word that so that if LKTANK CLOSED THEN DEFER 001:00 (1 minute for example) THEN outlet OFF ?

So I’m thinking:

Fallback On
Set On
If LKTANK CLOSED THEN OFF
DEFER 001:00

So this should turn the pump off if the leak detector is active for more that 59/60 seconds

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry amended fish list today, it has been at least 24 hours!! Lol

Shaun’s 2000 Litre (530usg) Fish List

Green Chromis x 9
Yellow Chromis x 6
Black Bar Chromis x 8
Springers Damsels x 7
Paired Percula clownfish x 2 (these have been together in a reef in the shop for 3 years)
Red Sea Fighter/Social Wrasse

Last edited:

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got to get my head around Defer, and we’re to put it in the code

My pump code is currently just as below so always on, and not under the advanced section

Fallback On
Set On

The leak detector is LKTANK

So how would you word that so that if LKTANK CLOSED THEN DEFER 001:00 (1 minute for example) THEN outlet OFF ?

So I’m thinking:

Fallback On
Set On
DEFER 001:00

So this should turn the pump off if the leak detector is active for more that 59/60 seconds
I think you want “defer 001:00 then off”

Eyedogtor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0575.JPG

Hi MrMichael

The triggers are blue throats and are great to watch. I thought they were breeding a few months ago but nothing as yet as far as i know anyway!

Here's a close up of them. The male has the yellow fins.
Hello,

It's always been a goal of mine to have a pair of Blue Throats in my reef. I just worry about them with Inverts. What has been your experience.....is anything safe? I know they all have their own personalities, just curious to hear what happened in your tank.

Thanks,

Pat

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

It's always been a goal of mine to have a pair of Blue Throats in my reef. I just worry about them with Inverts. What has been your experience.....is anything safe? I know they all have their own personalities, just curious to hear what happened in your tank.

Thanks,

Pat
Apart from taking inverts, and anything else in their way, tank surfing when their building a nest somewhere, which is every 3 months or so when their behaviour changes, their fine. No issues at all

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t it be defer then on? He wants it to wait to turn on
No it’s turn off, because the idea is if the leak detector triggers, I want to make sure it actually is a true reading and not a false signal, wave, signal noise or whatever.

The issue I had was the detector was cycling the Abyzz power on and off quickly, but in the first instance never triggered a full alert.

At the moment I’ll leave it in just alert mod, as I’m not sure I completely trust it.

Its good to finally have ‘life’ in the tank after all the building etc

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you want “defer 001:00 then off”
Yes I think that’s it

So to turn the return pump outlet off if the leak detector is triggered, with a 1 minute delay to make sure the trigger is not a false ‘signal noise’ or something:

Fallback On
Set On
DEFER 001:00 THEN OFF

@SuncrestReef does this look good or any better way ?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think that’s it

So to turn the return pump outlet off if the leak detector is triggered, with a 1 minute delay to make sure the trigger is not a false ‘signal noise’ or something:

Fallback On
Set On

Yes, the code you posted above is correct for what you described. If a leak is detected, and stays detected for a full 60 seconds, then the return pump output will turn off.

For a detailed description of Defer and all the other Apex timer commands, see this tutorial: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials-part-2-timers.689/

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the code you posted above is correct for what you described. If a leak is detected, and stays detected for a full 60 seconds, then the return pump output will turn off.

For a detailed description of Defer and all the other Apex timer commands, see this tutorial: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials-part-2-timers.689/
Brilliant and thanks for that once again. I wasn’t exactly sure were to put the defer, but I’ll have another read of the article.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think that’s it

Fallback On
Set On

For my thought, this is what's a bit dangerous. While it'll have to stay closed for 1 minute before shutting off, there's a lot of water that can be lost during that 1 minute.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my thought, this is what's a bit dangerous. While it'll have to stay closed for 1 minute before shutting off, there's a lot of water that can be lost during that 1 minute.
Well that’s the old gamble you see, because your correct.

The problem is, I’ve had enough erroneous errors and failures on Apex components that I don’t trust it 100%. Now I appreciate that any kind of moisture can trigger a leak detector, so arguably it’s doing it’s job but, well, it wasnt. There was no leak, it didn’t alert for around 10 minutes, but yet it was cycling a main return pump on and off every few seconds.

It just makes me a little nervous of giving it such power.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technology and automation is great, but man its scary to depend on it as well. The thin red line and risk reward scares the feces out of me.

Sounds like u got the answer u needed to curve the return pump hiccups. Hopefully the rest is smooth sailing my friend. And congrats on the clowns! Pics or it didnt happen!

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s the old gamble you see, because your correct.

The problem is, I’ve had enough erroneous errors and failures on Apex components that I don’t trust it 100%. Now I appreciate that any kind of moisture can trigger a leak detector, so arguably it’s doing it’s job but, well, it wasnt. There was no leak, it didn’t alert for around 10 minutes, but yet it was cycling a main return pump on and off every few seconds.

It just makes me a little nervous of giving it such power.
With great power comes great responsibility...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back