OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this will look really cool, middle back of the tank, maybe on its side slightly....

0A5AA185-F3D5-453D-BE44-C741AAB74D42.jpeg

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this will look really cool, middle back of the tank, maybe on its side slightly....

0A5AA185-F3D5-453D-BE44-C741AAB74D42.jpeg
It seems you are not having enough fun setting up your new tank my friend !

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered today why my RODI system seemed to be taking an absolute age to fill the 2 x 425 litre water tanks, and I’m talking days and days...... I had put it down to the size of them...

I happen to look at my original RODI system, still in use on a different setup, and noticed the ‘flush valve’ was in a different position to the one in the fish room. There exactly the same systems.

My mind has been all over the place thinking about a million different things, and clearly I’d left the system in ‘flush mode’ and it was making water at about 1 drop per second if that!!!

I noticed this because I was in the process of installing a booster pump to boost the output pressure to it because it was low. It was low because some idiot left it in flush mode and most of the water was going down the drain!!

I’ll need the pump anyway to refill the saltwater tank quick when it’s emptied

Its nearly as bad as leaving the plastic cling films around the prefilters on the original system which were on for 6 months. I only noticed when I took them out to replace and they were as good as new!!

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered today why my RODI system seemed to be taking an absolute age to fill the 2 x 425 litre water tanks, and I’m talking days and days...... I had put it down to the size of them...

I happen to look at my original RODI system, still in use on a different setup, and noticed the ‘flush valve’ was in a different position to the one in the fish room. There exactly the same systems.

My mind has been all over the place thinking about a million different things, and clearly I’d left the system in ‘flush mode’ and it was making water at about 1 drop per second if that!!!

I noticed this because I was in the process of installing a booster pump to boost the output pressure to it because it was low. It was low because some idiot left it in flush mode and most of the water was going down the drain!!

Its nearly as bad as leaving the plastic cling films around the prefilters on the original system which were on for 6 months. I only noticed when I took them out to replace and they were as good as new!!

I am changing the membrane, filters and resin tomorrow, thanks for the reminder! ;)

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am changing the membrane, filters and resin tomorrow, thanks for the reminder! ;)
Remember to take the cling film off, they filter much better that way!! Lol

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have u been helping Simon empty vodka bottles again? I'm sure u never forget to take the wrapper off those puppies! ;)

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how as your day been so far ?

I was sat doing what gentlemen do of a morning, minding my business, when all of a sudden I heard gurgling, apex alarms one after another, running water, the Tunze high water alarm shrieking, and my wife shouting Shaun, Shaun, Shaun!!!

It doesn’t matter how many times you hear it, that sound of running water cascading around a fish tank strikes the fear of god into me every time I hear it, even when I’ve planned it! Lol

So I walked towards the room, sort of looking through one eye, squinting at what I would be presented with........

The Abyzz was surging, bubbles everywhere, more apex alarms.....

So I was sat thinking what’s wrong with the Abyzz, it keeps restarting and then i listened. The Apex energy bar socket was switching on and off, causing the Abyzz to restart

So I went outside in the dark to the back of the tank, and then the leak detector alarm went off at the back of the tank, which is always worrying when you have 2000 litres involved! To my utter shear delight, 2000 litres was still safely inside the tank

So what happened. Well, because the plumbing is new, as a safety feature I programmed the apex to make the Abyzz switch off if the leak detector triggered in case of any plumbing leaks etc and as an emergency shut off. The detector has done its job, sort off, but it had just detected some slight moisture in the air because it’s damp/winter, and was quickly switching the socket on and off.

So problem solved, I’ve amended the program to not turn the pump off automatically, but to just tell me, and then if need be I’ll turn it off!

And now I can get on with my day.........

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how as your day been so far ?

I was sat doing what gentlemen do of a morning, minding my business, when all of a sudden I heard gurgling, apex alarms one after another, running water, the Tunze high water alarm shrieking, and my wife shouting Shaun, Shaun, Shaun!!!

It doesn’t matter how many times you hear it, that sound of running water cascading around a fish tank strikes the fear of god into me every time I hear it, even when I’ve planned it! Lol

So I walked towards the room, sort of looking through one eye, squinting at what I would be presented with........

The Abyzz was surging, bubbles everywhere, more apex alarms.....

So I was sat thinking what’s wrong with the Abyzz, it keeps restarting and then i listened. The Apex energy bar socket was switching on and off, causing the Abyzz to restart

So I went outside in the dark to the back of the tank, and then the leak detector alarm went off at the back of the tank, which is always worrying when you have 2000 litres involved! To my utter shear delight, 2000 litres was still safely inside the tank

So what happened. Well, because the plumbing is new, as a safety feature I programmed the apex to make the Abyzz switch off if the leak detector triggered in case of any plumbing leaks etc and as an emergency shut off. The detector has done its job, sort off, but it had just detected some slight moisture in the air because it’s damp/winter, and was quickly switching the socket on and off.

So problem solved, I’ve amended the program to not turn the pump off automatically, but to just tell me, and then if need be I’ll turn it off!

This is a decent fix, but be careful - I've been dealing with this for the last couple weeks where my Apex has been randomly disconnecting from fusion, so if there are any issues, I'm not getting them. This'd be mitigated if you're running on ethernet, but if you're on WiFi, it may happen. As such, I add a timer to switch back on of ~10 minutes after shutdown due to leak detection. In addition, my physical leak detectors are sitting atop paper towels. I'm in south florida and one of the detectors is inside the cabinet with the sump and haven't gotten any false alarms. Tradeoff is that a bigger leak is needed to trip the switches with the towels.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a decent fix, but be careful - I've been dealing with this for the last couple weeks where my Apex has been randomly disconnecting from fusion, so if there are any issues, I'm not getting them. This'd be mitigated if you're running on ethernet, but if you're on WiFi, it may happen. As such, I add a timer to switch back on of ~10 minutes after shutdown due to leak detection. In addition, my physical leak detectors are sitting atop paper towels. I'm in south florida and one of the detectors is inside the cabinet with the sump and haven't gotten any false alarms. Tradeoff is that a bigger leak is needed to trip the switches with the towels.

Well I’m hard wired via Ethernet on both systems, but the leak detector was originally sat on a hard amtico floor, and it triggered. So then I tried the paper towel trick and it’s been ok until this morning, when it stopped the pump.

i might try a thicker towel because if it ever gets wet, it will be proper wet! Lol

I’ve always been very aware not to put full control of systems into a single point of failure, so this has made me step back a little. The thing is, it was flicking the switch on and off, without sending the alarm, hence the pump switching on and off rather than just off. So maybe a bit of moisture was triggering it.

Anyway it will now send me an alert rather than automatically doing something.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then what have I been doing today.

You recall the NYOS Quantum was failing and I ordered a new pump and impeller. Well it was taking a while, and I was getting nervous without a skimmer and my massive bioload. So I thought it might be handy to have a spare which will also making cleaning easier with one to swap out.

So yesterday I ordered a new NYOS Quantum 160 which arrived today and it’s now installed. I’m just awaiting the new parts for the old skimmer which is soaking in vinager, and then I’ll reassemble it and use it alternatively with the new one.

I’d forgotten what a beautiful silent piece of kit this is when new, it’s a work of art and I can see now my old NYOS had been failing for a few months, now I can see how the bubbles are supposed to look.

As the new skimmer was arriving, I decided the sump in the S650 was looking a bit filthy. I do water changes from there at about 120 litres a time, and I haven’t done one (other than the new DOS changes) for 6 months. Hence the sump was dirty.

The amount of gunk that was going down the python water changer was incredible, but anyway it’s refilled and I’ll probably clean the sump once a year like this as all water changes are now done via Apex DOS

Below is after I just switched it on and I have a bit of a tip here for any NYOS users on how to adjust the tall column at the back

You may recall that I also have the NYOS Quantum 300, but on the 300 you can’t turn the long tube, it has a locking screw through it, so you only use the fine adjustment wheel at the top. I’ve tried this on the 160 and by just turning the fine wheel, it makes it much easier to fine adjust. If you turn the long tall tube, it closes the hole at the bottom and then you don’t actually now how closed it is. Hopefully this makes sense!

4AA9B8CC-DD0B-47A6-9A4D-645F0258F52B.jpeg

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
=

That works. You could also add a DEFER statement to make sure the leak signal is persistent before alarming or shutting off pumps...
Defer 1:00 Then ON
Translated: Defer the ON state for 1 minute. (OFF would be immediate)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the alarms were false, sort of.

Man those chromis make all the difference in the world. Already coming to life in a hurry! So glad I caught this build from the start. Epic journey.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back