Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the electrical equipment is in place and here’s a picture of the back of the tank and also were Ive tidied up the battery backups.

You will need to tilt your head on one side as the site’s changed the layout !Lol

7234FF23-29FF-4038-98AA-E75E7816FFF1.jpeg
0BB885AC-6101-40B1-9367-944356367CCE.jpeg
How many hours are you backup batteries capable of giving you before they need recharging

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas Shaun!

You to Brian, have a great day and new year!

How many hours are you backup batteries capable of giving you before they need recharging

It depends on which pump, in my case MP40 or MP60. It tells you on the Ecotech web site but from memory around 30-36 hours I think.

i haven’t tested them yet fortunately, other than making sure their working

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you had a great Christmas brother!
Yes apart from the food and alcohol induced coma’s. Well actually, they were most pleasant!! Lol

You to!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this on another friends thread @emvanburen to try and help with ideas, who also has a very nice S650, but thought it might be nice to document here how I came up with the aquascape design.

‘My new tank is 28 inches deep (712mm) and it’s difficult to reach the bottom with my arm at maximum stretch, but just about ok.

As far as aquascape design goes, I spent months considering the options, designs etc., and this is what I finally did which may give you some inspiration or ideas. Remember also the coral growth you have in your own S650 and try and picture this in the new tank.

I started around this

And then also this

Then I quiet liked this picture, but didn’t like it being to regimental with the 4 islands, although it’s beautiful of course. I spent hours looking at this picture, admiring it, but thinking I wanted it more natural looking. I don’t want to take anything away from the designers of this as it’s stunning, I just wanted mine a little different, but this was immensely helpful.

EADE02B8-6D9A-489B-A960-390F6892DC35.jpeg

I speak with the guys at DD from time to time, and one of the Tank Masters is Stuart Bertram

If you look at the link below and then go into the August 2009 gallery you can see some of the initial pictures which show the basic aquascape layout, here for example

Gallery | D-D The Aquarium Solution

www.theaquariumsolution.com
www.theaquariumsolution.com

2AC51473-E997-49FF-8C99-C87E11E0ED75.jpeg

So what a finally decided, was a sort of ‘hybrid’ version of the two. But what you have to try and picture in your mind, is the tank in 3 years time +, so I imagined the new tank with the growth from the S650

AA6C124B-A140-492D-B0BF-91EC86C3E2A0.jpeg

Im delighted with how it turned out, but of course were all different in what we like, so it’s just a matter of following your own ideas and designs to how you like it.’

Last edited:

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on how you came to the scaping decision. It can certainly be tough to picture things in 3+ years with coral, etc., but I think you hit the mark between having focus points, negative space, and plenty of possibilities for coral placement in the future.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated fish list and pictures to follow

Shaun’s 2000 Litre (530usg) Fish List

Green Chromis x 9
Yellow Chromis x 6
Black Bar Chromis x 8
Springers Damsels x 7
Paired Percula clownfish x 2
Red Sea Fighter/Social Wrasse
Yellow Tangs x 2 (so far!)
Lyretail Anthias x 9 (so far!)

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the last few days I’ve been testing the water in the new tank. Nitrates are starting to show and will probably start to rise with the increased fish load, so the NYOS Quantum 300 has been brought to life, and what a beast of beauty it is!

I’ve been running around 300g of Rhowaphos since just after filling, so I was surprised yesterday when the phosphate levels were at 0.10ppm, so I’m guessing phosphate is being released from the new live sand and real reef rock. So I changed out the rhowaphos and installed 1kg into the Deltect FR512 reactor to ‘suck out’ all the remaining phosphates from the system.

The latest fish additions are 2 beautiful Yellow Tangs, with a target number of around 6-8, and 9 Lyretail Anthias with a target number of around 20 or so. The Tangs are swimming around together like best friends already.

Here’s a few pictures of the NYOS Quantum 300. Oh, and you can also simply marvel at the engineering prowess of my skimmate locker and stand, the latter of which is locked together with zip ties! Lol

D4329361-8EAE-49AE-AF77-6441368B8F7D.jpeg
7D6EF578-2DBF-49E7-B55C-A153C1875AF3.jpeg
F79978E4-E3DF-4E93-9672-FFE9745959C0.jpeg
C6A00857-1D8D-4792-9732-A6CE684AF174.jpeg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and you can also simply marvel at the engineering prowess of my skimmate locker and stand, the latter of which is locked together with zip ties! Lol

D4329361-8EAE-49AE-AF77-6441368B8F7D.jpeg

So nearly no expense spared, I knew this would go ghetto engineering at some point?! ;)

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nearly no expense spared, I knew this would go ghetto engineering at some point?! ;)

lol! I was laughing at this all last night!

If you want me to build you one just pm me! Lol

Lovely looking tank Shaun.

I'm excited to see the development over time.

Thank you Shaun and thanks for stopping by.

Looking good! Will you be adding a skimmer shut down sensor? I have found it very helpful in case the skimmer gets overzealous.

i don’t need one because I have a well built and sturdy skim mate locker! The one in the S650, of similar design, and precision engineering, means it will last around 3 weeks if I need it to and the closed cap means is doesn’t smell. Well until you empty it!

Good fish additions Shaun !
Thank Nyos Quantum 300 should be something to admire. Regarding your engineering prowess... I think is blocking the view.

Admit it Pancho, you want one don’t you! Think of the worry free travelling you’ll have knowing your fishes poo is safe and ‘hopefully’ secure!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that skimmer is a beauty and the beast all in one! Hope the po4 stays low for ya. Do u have a time frame in mind to wait out the ugly stage before adding coral etc?
Yes, I have a time frame for the corals Rich. It was a few days after adding the fish that I took about 20 coral frags from the S650. All SPS frags and in place and doing fine.

I’m trying to avoid the ugly stage, the S650 hardly had one, and with control of the water parameters and lights, it should be ok (hopefully!)

The only sign is a few diatoms in the sand on one side which are now receding and the MP60 on that side is now running at up to 100% to increase flow. The reason I’m using Rhowaphos from the start, is that it removes phosphate and also silicates from the water which feeds them and other generally annoying organisms

I’ve added a fair few fish from the start, as I’m trying to get nitrates into the system, albeit at low level, but definitely very low phosphates. The skimmer is on and it’s just a bit of a balancing act at the start up.

Im just monitoring the foundation element levels, in particular alkalinity to see when the Twin Tech needs to come online. Initially I may use the Red Sea elements for a week or so depending on uptake, or a mixture of the two, running the Twin Tech on it’s lowest flow rate. It’s all set up and just needs the media adding and then commissioning.

Im off to the LFS today to get 12 blue leg crabs and 12 red legs and I’m ‘probablly’ not adding my more fish for a few weeks (he says! Lol) so everything can stabilise

As far as CUC, there will be crabs, but I’m not sure about snails, I prefer tuxedo urchins. In larger systems the snails don’t seem to have much effect, other than getting in the way of the glass cleaner!

I’ll post a few pictures

Oh, and I purchased a new HD camera monitor yesterday, after my wife knocked the other one onto the floor! How things have advanced, this is brilliant and moves, records all sorts

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 103 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back