Shipment method alternatives

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this topic has been discussed many times before, but the $40-$50 shipping always makes me cringe. I do worry how much I might spend, if coral prices remained the same, but shipping was $10-$20.

I am curious what wild ideas others had to revolutionize shipping. I feel like it could be a million dollar idea to universally commercialize/patent livestock shipping containers and methods.

My wild idea: a container similar to a yeti which the buyer owns, and pays to ship to and from seller. Seller uses buyer’s container/components, slaps label on sends it back. The container/method would need other features or methods to survive 2-3 day shipping. UPS ground there and back $5.99x2 = $11.98.

The seller could also have their own container/components that they ship to the buyer and the buyer would need to return or pay to purchase container/components, which could be re-used.

I know this might take a bit longer and/or more inconvenient. I’m not sure what the studies are for corals in the same water for 2-3 days either. The new way would obviously need to compensate for all dangers. Heck, maybe put a light in the container, maybe a heater.

Interested to hear what ideas other people have or components that would need to exist in order to make it work.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the issue you are trying to solve, the cost is too high? I agree its kind of high but that's what it costs to ship to individual people, which is why I give my coral business to local stores so I don't have the added cost of shipping.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I daresay the main cost of shipping is not the packing materials. It's the expediency.

Arthroverts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if we could find a way to keep the coral alive, and healthy for that matter, for 2-3 days in the package, then you could even go the route of USPS Flat Rate boxes (which I think is O.K, correct me if it is taboo to ship via USPS ;)), like they do with terrestrial invertebrates and reptiles.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be great to find a cheaper way for hobbyists to ship more affordably without needing outrageous volumes to bring prices down. Obviously temp is a big factor which can dictate shipping times, but also water quality, water movement, and light would be possible reasons that could prohibit extended transportation times as well.

If anyone was brave enough, it would be easy enough to experiment. You could simply take a frag of whatever you want to try and put it in a plastic bag as you'd normally ship. Then take that and put it in a couple layers of black bag (to block all light) and just let the bag float in your display for 3 days. Your tank would maintain perfect temps (to simulate a superbly insulated or temp controlled box) and the somewhat gentle movement of the bag floating in the tank would simulate the box in transit. If whatever coral you're testing comes out of the bag healthy after 3 days, than you'd at least know that it's possible to do if you can maintain temp for that given coral.

Arthroverts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you could even try sending a Kenya Tree frag to a friend (or mortal enemy, since Kenya Tree's are weeds from what I hear. Just kidding ;)) in a large Flat Rate USPS box. Insulate it with styrofoam and stuff a bunch of 72 hour heat packs in there and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man, I'd LOVE to see some new ideas for keeping corals alive longer to bring down shipping costs. I feel like a major issue that occurs is parameter swings due to water volume, lack of movement/filtration, etc. So, IMO we're dealing with much more than temperature fluctuation.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we need to factor in weight. It will vary from amount of coral, water in bag, packing materials.

Maybe coral drones?o_O

Reef dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is even worse is the seller is eating some of the cost of shipping, $40-$50 doesn't cover the cost with overnight shipping

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just had a shipment from Online vendor sent yesterday via UPS. They claimed mechanical issue and package is sitting one hour from me and here is update below and Totally inexcusable !!:

Tracking Number 1Z008E4V019XXXXXXXX

Updated: 07/18/2019 8:36 P.M. EST

Tracking Status
In Transit

Scheduled Delivery

Friday 07/19/2019

Estimated Time

10:30 A.M.

View delivery time window with UPS My Choice®. Continue

Send Updates Delivery Options

NowasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a fulfillment company and shipping is the bane of our existence!
Unfortunately USPS typically does not guarantee their shipments when you read the fine print. So basically say a 2-day priority flat rate box will “hopefully” arrive in 2 days. And the carriers typically have a 93-95% package delivers on time in good condition percentage. Seems good until you are in my industry where you are now talking about 5-7 out of every 100 shipped gets screwed up.
We have had the best luck with fed ex for delivery and pricing. USPS for stuff under a pound but we are constantly amazed at the problems. To give you an idea with our rates we just shipped a 10.5lb box from Michigan to the Los Angeles area 2-day and it was $125 with out discounted volume rates.
This is why Amazon is trying to do their own shipping. In 2017 they “lost” $5 billion in shipping costs using common carriers. If someone figures out a magic method please do share!!!

Kopka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that we can even send anything across the country overnight for $40 already IS magical. I’m a freight broker (mostly full truckloads), but you wouldn’t believe what goes into all of it. $40 is a steal and believe me nobody is getting rich off of it.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could build a “yeti” to fit in a usps flat rate box, you could be on to something. Parameters probably don’t change much aside from temperature, which a yeti would help a lot with. Do corals produce ammonia?
What happens to a corals biological processes in pitch black conditions? Do they need to breath if there isn’t any photosynthesis occurring?

Just buy a small yeti or similar and see how long a frag can live without water movement. Try a fresh cut and a healed Frag.

Edit: Whoa! A 1/2g yeti “rambler” is $100. While that would probably fit in a flat rate box, and hold a few frags, could you trust to get it back?

Last edited:

TinyTinCans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you could even try sending a Kenya Tree frag to a friend (or mortal enemy, since Kenya Tree's are weeds from what I hear. Just kidding ;)) in a large Flat Rate USPS box. Insulate it with styrofoam and stuff a bunch of 72 hour heat packs in there and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

I died laughing when I read this. I remember my first tank a “buddy” of mine gave me a Kenya tree at first I thought that was pretty cool. 6 months latter I was pulling these things out of my tank just like weeds. I’m tank sitting for him next week I wish I had one to drop in to return the favor.

On a side note my first real job 20 yrs ago was in logistics. expedited shipping is a nightmare trying to get everything lined out. It sometimes felt like throwing a handful of legos in the air having them land in the shape of a house. Each plane has to arrive on time and within a certain window to make it to the next. what you are really paying for is for person to babysit your shipment and to do their best to get it personaly from point A to B. while general freight is thrown into large bins and sorted in a very unpleasant manner most of the time. So even if you found a way to stabilize the temp, shipping it flat rate or at a reduced rate I can promise you that your shipment would be handled with significantly less care. Just think how many frags arrive DOA due to poor handling.(When you are paying for their “best care”) That number would definitely increase if shipped some other way. overnight is expensive but at least your coral flew in a plane and did not set in the back of a truck for two days. It also gets to us with in 24hrs 95% of the time and if it doesn’t you can normally get a refund and if there is damage during transit you can also get a refund. All I can say is God Bless Reefers and our high expectations. :)

drbogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like the idea!

A fish/coral life support shipping container!

Here's my ideas:

- Built-in Battery, supporting everything it needs for the 2-3 days travel.
- Small Filter to provide oxygen, and clean the water.
- Compartment for filter media / biomedia
- Small LED Light for Corals.

This is something I could design if I had the funding to do so.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back