Shipping From Australia

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is likely a dumb question, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. Provided Covid restrictions are lifted, I’m going to be going to Australia in early 2022. I’ll be there about 3 weeks (doing a 10 day cruise and then spending some time there). I was thinking depending on cost, maybe buying some corals direct from the source if possible (provided the collecting ban is also lifted) and having them shipped to my house. Since itd be from Is it as simple as having them shipped or do I need an import license, cites paperwork, and every other thing that drains the bank account? I regularly see XYZ person (insert well known reefer/author etc name) imported such and such straight from the source, so I was simply curious how simple it isn’t for the everyday reefer. Thanks!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe buying some corals direct from the source if possible
Ain't gonna happen.

An individual sale is peanuts to an Overseas Wholesaler. They probably have a minimum order of $5k

I know to be a direct wholesalers the U.S. you have to have a minimum of $2k in orders a month to stay in the distribution chain. I know this bc I worked part-time for a LFS and the Owner wanted to be an Ohio Wholesaler coming thru Los Angeles.

Other Wholesalers would even return your phone call unless you had plans to buy $2-$10k a month. Month in month out

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ain't gonna happen.

An individual sale is peanuts to an Overseas Wholesaler. They probably have a minimum order of $5k

I know to be a direct wholesalers the U.S. you have to have a minimum of $2k in orders a month to stay in the distribution chain. I know this bc I worked part-time for a LFS and the Owner wanted to be an Ohio Wholesaler coming thru Los Angeles.

Other Wholesalers would even return your phone call unless you had plans to buy $2-$10k a month. Month in month out

That’s understandable, and I guess I didn’t word that correctly. I meant like buying from an Australian LFS and having them shipped to the US on the plane ride back

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s understandable, and I guess I didn’t word that correctly. I meant like buying from an Australian LFS and having them shipped to the US on the plane ride back
Bring back on your plane ride back as a "declared" box?

Oh brother, I would imagine that would be the migraine of all migraine headaches coming thru US Customs and the NSA... as they prob classify them as animals (which they are)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was thinking was nightmare of paperwork to not be worth it in the end

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was thinking was nightmare of paperwork to not be worth it in the end
Only other option would be to visit an Australian FedEx shipping store. Have them handle shipping.

But any box of any size probably going to cost you $300-$500 in shipping

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back