My ReeFi LED Duo review

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Today I would like to provide a review of my ReeFi LED Duo Extreme lights. When purchasing these lights, I agreed to a coupon promotion that provided me with a discount if I agreed to provide a review of the lights on social media. I don’t really use social media so this will have to do!

I have now had these lights installed for 8 months, which I believe is long enough for me to have determined what I like and/or don’t like about a product as well as providing some thoughts on how they have impacted my tank.

Background:

The tank I have the ReeFi’s installed on is a Red Sea Reefer 525XL that has been running for 18 months. Prior to installing the ReeFi’s I had a 6 bulb ATI hybrid power module fixture and in the first few months of the tanks life I had 3 Red Sea ReefLED 90’s installed.

I have had no extraordinary issues with the tank so far, beyond a complication resulting from an inaccurate Hanna salinity checker, occurring at the 8 month mark.

Photos:

Here is my tank with my “daylight” settings:

IMG_7778.png

Here is my tank with my “evening” settings:

IMG_7779.png

Light quality:

I am extremely happy with these lights. In my experience, they provide a perfect blend of the even blanket coverage provided by a T5 array, while also providing the “sharpness” and configurability of LED lights. They have a very soft shimmer, slightly more noticeable than a T5 fixture but nowhere close to what a single point source light like a ReefLED produces. This suits my personal preference, as the overactive shimmer was a big negative for me when using the ReefLED’s. The fact that the light provides even coverage but may be tuned without having to fiddle about with bulbs is what motivated to move on from my ATI fixture.

Additionally, these lights have the least side glare out of any lighting fixture I have ever encountered. My tank is in my living room and this was a very important factor for me prior to having to fabricate a shroud due to my cat developing the ability to leap onto the tank from the floor. Here is a photo of my tank without the shroud to illustrate how little light “leaks” from the tank:

IMG_7776.png

I do not have access to a PAR metre, so cannot provide any objective measurements of the light output.

Build and installation:

The ReeFI’s are of excellent quality. This is an incredible feat for a small business, as they compare favourably to both the RedSea and ATI fixtures I have.

The lights feel substantial in hand, the magnets holding the clear cover in place a strong and the integrated LED screen is useful for basic diagnostics and during setup. The power supply is a high quality unit, very similar to that supplied with ATI fixtures and much superior to that supplied with the ReefLED units I have.

I have my lights installed on an Ecotech RMS light rail which is suspended from the ceiling. I ordered the appropriate mounts for this along with my lights and everything fits perfectly.

Controls:

Controllability is likewise excellent and is similar to ATI fixtures, in that it is delivered via a local web server on the device itself, rather than via an app which accesses an intermediary website on the public internet. This is my preference and makes accessing the controls very fast, however it does mean that you must be on the same WiFi network as the device to manage it, so you cannot manage the device remotely. This is not an issue for me personally, as I am not able to conceive of a situation where I would want to adjust my lights without being able to see them.

The control page itself is simple and to the point. I am a big fan of the interface, it is very fast compared to the plethora of “apps” that are prevalent today, however I think usability could be slightly improved:

• Lights may be grouped, however there is no way to lock configuration across the group and it is quite easy to accidentally focus on a specific fixture, rather than the group.
  • Tooltips or other guidance could be implemented for less obvious features, such as the cloud cover mechanism.
As you can see, these are relatively minor complaints. I can also report that the control interface works well across laptop, phone and iPad form factors.

Impact on tank:

I am not comfortable attributing any success within my tank to these lights, as there is a lot that goes into achieving good growth and coloration beyond the lights and I installed these lights at the 8-12 month mark where tanks typically stabilise and start producing good results.

I will however say that the diode selection of these lights is capable of showcasing the beauty of marine fish. I have not observed fish looking this vibrant under the other lights I have experience with.

Additionally, certain species of corals appear to truly relish the spectrum provided by these lights. I share water across my tanks, however all millepora and forest fire digitata under the ReeFi’s have experienced explosive growth. Again, there may be other factors at play, but given all water and live rock across my tanks is from the same ancestor system, it is very interesting to me that these specific species experience such outstanding growth.

Final Comments:

Overall, I am extremely happy with my ReeFi’s, so much so that I have just ordered a ReeFi Uno to replace the last of my ReefLED’s over a Waterbox Cube.

For international buyers, I would also mention that I live in Australia and delivery of my lights took 3 days using the cheapest shipping method, which is excellent. I simply use a travel adaptor when plugging the lights into a power board.

I know that Daniel is very active in the community and provides excellent post-sales support. I cannot provide a first-hand account of this, as I’ve never had an issue with my units.

I would really encourage any fellow reefers to consider ReeFi fixtures if they are in the market for a premium fixture, they combine many of the positive qualities of both T5 and LED fixtures, with excellent build quality and controllability.

Last edited:

AlainD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what height is your lamp and can you show us your light config

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, thanks for checking in!

The bottom of my lamps are 23cm / 9" above the water surface.

Here is a screenshot of the settings, I have attached also my config to this post:

Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 12.39.30.png

Attachments

• mmorriso_reefi.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 125

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for providing such a great discussion on these lights. I am trying to decide between 2 to 3 duo extremes or 2 ATI Straton fixtures for a standard 120g 48x24x24 SPS dominant system (old Oceanic with glass center brace ~18 inches). I currently have 2 x 54w blue + T5s and 2 x 250w DE HQI MH running Phoenix 14K bulbs. Fixture is old and I have had to replace the fans and it looks like I am heading that way again. I have read a number of threads on both lighting systems and both seem to get high marks. My tendency is to go with the Straton's because of the coverage and no fan but hard to argue with the price, availability, and reported performance of the Duo Extremes (unless I need 3). Any thoughts are welcome.

Best,

Greg

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Greg,

First of all, choosing between ReeFi's and Straton's is a pretty nice dilemma to face! I don't have any experience with Straton's unfortunately, they're not widely available in my country at the moment. I believe the Philips CoralCare are similar to the Straton's as well, but seem to be in stock so you may want to add them to your list.

With regards to coverage, I'm pretty confident that two ReeFi's would be fine for that area, but I suppose it depends on how grown out your SPS is. If they're shadowing so much that you need to turn the fixtures perpendicular (As opposed to parallel to the length of the tank, as I have them) to gain back to front coverage, then you might need three. Care to share a tank picture?

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally, if you're not bothered by 2x power supplies and 2x cables, you could consider 4-5 ReeFi Uno's. They're roughly the same price as 2 Duo, but you would gain a bit more flexibility with regards to coverage by having each LED array in a separate fixture.

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mmorriso:

Thanks for getting back to me. The center brace is actually only 11 inches (I finally got home to measure it). Here is a full tank view from several years ago:
IMG_0571.jpeg

Here are some closer up images of some of my previous SPS:
IMG_1015.jpeg

IMG_1014.jpeg

IMG_0223.jpeg

I got rid of most what was in this and am starting over with pretty much SPS only. Here is the new start:
IMG_3161.jpeg

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank!

I would start with 3-4 Uno's. It's cheaper than 2 Duo's. It's unlikely you would need to add a third Duo, but may want a fifth Uno if your tank fills up.

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what your mounting constraints are: I

- If you've just got a single rail, placing them equidistant along it is not a bad start
- If you've got multiple rails, or another mechanism in which you can place anywhere above your tank, you could stagger them across two rows.

I have mine mounted all parallel to the tanks length on a single rail and don't have any issues at the moment. Turning the Duo's sideways or having two rows of Uno's gives you the same approximate spread as a 6-8 T5 Bulb array, if I use my ATI fixture as a comparison.

RhinoNM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48"x 35"x20" Lagoon and am using 6 unos. I absolutely love them. Major factors for me are dead silent...powerful...minimal white spectrum (still enough to get a 10K look if needed)...and no glare. In addition using 2040 T slot mounts i can adjust the spread (front to back) very easily and get better front to back light distribution to cover such a deep tank vs a two puck model. The 2040's also allow the cables to be hidden easy too.

Sry for the Blue pics, i can take some in better light tomorrow if requested.

Also the 2040 mounts save a boatload over having to buy proprietary ones like radions...

Attachments

• uno1.jpg
    uno1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 182
  • uno2.jpg
    uno2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 129
  • uno4.jpg
    uno4.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 142

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48"x 35"x20" Lagoon and am using 6 unos. I absolutely love them. Major factors for me are dead silent...powerful...minimal white spectrum (still enough to get a 10K look if needed)...and no glare. In addition using 2040 T slot mounts i can adjust the spread (front to back) very easily and get better front to back light distribution to cover such a deep tank vs a two puck model. The 2040's also allow the cables to be hidden easy too.

Sry for the Blue pics, i can take some in better light tomorrow if requested.

Also the 2040 mounts save a boatload over having to buy proprietary ones like radions...
What tank is that ? Where can I get one !

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.2%
Back