Shipping SPS

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 17, 2009
Messages
2,925
Reaction score
179
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,
I heard something interesting the other day..Its actually better to ship SPS in a ziplock bag wrapped in a damp paper towel rather than submerged in water..Thoughts?
 
The one thing that has me thinking otherwise is that with the water in teh bag, its an extra layer of protection, could imagine a few branches breaking in the shipping.
 
My first few failed attempts at shipping acro frags was due to too little water (I was used to chalice frags), so I'm not sure...
 
I think it would bea fail.Montiporas that I have had that have been out of the water fo rmore than 45 min start to look like crap.

I have heard of zoas being shipped this way,credit to a guy named Fish who I know.
[video=youtube;JTBuGbVSD8c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTBuGbVSD8c&feature=related[/video]
Not sure how valuble that is,but its atleast proof on my part!LOL
 
Anthony Calfo, in his Book of Coral Propagation, speaks about his increased success rate, in having corals shipped to him, when using a similar method. This included all types of corals, but was meant for the quickest forms of shipping.
 
I dont know which is better, but i have read about it being done without water and a lot of sucess. I think at least partially it will depend on the specific type of sps. Some acros for example are commonly out of the water during low tides for many hours, but that does not mean in itself that sps in general would do well in that situation. I will always ship in water if for no other reason than to avoid the receiving individual from freaking out.
 
I would never even consider this... It's hard enough To ship in wAter, you need large amounts to be succsesfull....Snails are about the only thing I have saw shipped this way lol...
 
I am skeptical on this, but if anyone wants to try it out, they can ship me some acros and I will let you know how they do...i'm nice...always willing to take one for the team!!
 
Stick a frag in a bag in a box over night and see what you got the next day... Save the 50$ to 75$ shipping expense...
 
Stick a frag in a bag in a box over night and see what you got the next day... Save the 50$ to 75$ shipping expense...

This is actully how I learned to fix my shipping mistakes,haha!Put it out side and hope for the best!LOL
 
Stick a frag in a bag in a box over night and see what you got the next day... Save the 50$ to 75$ shipping expense...
THANKS A LOT TROY!!! Not that anyone would actually do it but still...you ruined my dreams!!! j/k
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new