Shop Vac suggestions??

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m in the market for a shop vac so I can easily clean out my sump. What’s everyone using? What do you recommend is best for constant water usage? Thanks!!

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It's called a Bucket Head and it's from Home Depot. I paid about $19.99 for mine. I did buy the smaller heads, but it still sucks up FAST! The hose only loosely fits in the head though. I've knocked it out while I was suctioning a few times. I've got to figure out how to attach it better or get a different hose than the one that comes with it. I STILL like it though.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size sump, imo. The Bucket Head unit is great for up to 7 gallon buckets and is cheap if it breaks.

If you have a bigger sump, want something with large wheels, an elevated handle like a hand truck, and a drain at the bottom, I use the 16 gallon Ridgid plastic unit. Comes with all the accessories as well. They also make a metal one, but you don't want that with saltwater.

There's also a 14 gallon one but it doesn't have the hand truck type of handle up high, the storage bag for the accessories, or the large wheels. It's just handy if you need to tilt a full 16 gallons of water and roll it smoothly. The vacuums fill up very fast.

It's also good for going up stairs with a heavy load for uses outside the aquarium (or you overflow your RODI in the basement, lol). Just in case you want it for an all purpose utility. Works flawlessly as long as you hose it out right after use.

Screenshot_20180422-011907.png

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the exact one I was looking at. But it’s only a 32g sump so I don’t think I need anything extreme. I can probably get away with a shop vac lid and 5 gal bucket

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the exact one I was looking at. But it’s only a 32g sump so I don’t think I need anything extreme. I can probably get away with a shop vac lid and 5 gal bucket

Try to use a 7 gallon bucket. The vacuums will fill up a 5 gallon, and even a 7 gallon, in about 30 seconds. So you have to work fast. The bigger the bucket, the more you'll accomplish in 1 shot. Most 7 gallon buckets have the same top dimensions as a 5 gallon. But you'll see what I mean. ;)

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a shop vac get one that rolls very easy ie quality, I have one that has a handle and when my sons tank spilled all over his room I vac it all up and carried the wet/dry out and the clips failed and I dropped all of the water again on a different part of the rug, yeah I think I noticed a spot of the ceiling when I was looking straight up for about 3 minutes.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pair of bucket heads on old salt buckets. One is almost 5 years old and still going strong - pretty good for $20.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back