Short term relief from Cyano and Dinos while on vacation? (full treatment following vaca)

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as things always go, I am leaving for a week on Wednesday and I started getting Cyano worse and worse since dosing nitrates to color up my SPS, and yesterday I noticed a patch of brown fuzz that stayed local was not popping up in several spots. I grabbed a sample and checked it out under my microscope and it's definitely ostreopsis.

Now the dinos are not bad, and not stringy yet, but I know they can get bad quick.

Cyano has been getting worse lately but I have Chemiclean coming today, but I don't have enough time to treat for 48 hours and then water change before leaving.

My tank sitter knows nothing about tanks, but she is going to feed daily and top off my ATO resevoir. I'm thinking of having her send me pics every day she checks on it and teach her how to use a turkey baster to blow them off, BUT, is there something I could do today or tomorrow to keep these at bay for a week until I get back? Onlything I have done so far is cranked Temp up to 80 from 78.5 based on some saying it helped.

The tank isn't really new, it was moved to my current place in May, but the rock has been in my system for anywhere from 2-6 years. I have been dosing nitrates daily, but I am going to put it on a doser to keep it dosed for the week. Its an SPS system, RS Reefer 450 and it has pretty good flow (2 MP40s at 100% reef crest).

Nitrates are 4 ppm
Phos 0.02 ppm
Alk 8.5
Calc 450
MG 1312
pH 8-8.3

Never had dino issues and cyano come and goes, but I know thats from the nitrates.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to do anything too drastic like add a fish and a supplement and leave. Definitely will try some things when I get back.

I spent about an hour and a half sucking as much cyano and detritus as I could, which went into filter floss in a strainer and I dumped the filtered water back in. No water change for Dino’s but took out as much gunk as I could to prevent more cyano. I blew the rocks out, let it settle, and sucked that up too until everything was pretty clean. My filter floss in my sump filled up in about 30 mins so I changed that. I may do that again tomorrow.

I also had about a third of a bottle of instant ocean biospira bacteria, so I dumped that in too. Can’t hurt!

open to other ideas to keep things from killing my talk while gone.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is a great way to increase cyano in your tank

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have microbactor7 coming, but won’t get here until after I leave.

I’ll do chemi clean, then add the microbactor when it’s done. Then get a UV filter if Dino’s don’t go away

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back