Short tough moss like algae

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

14 month old 180, been battling Chrysophytes and bouts of cyano due to zero nutrients for about 6 months. Dosing nitrate, phosphate to maintain 5ppm nitrate 0.08ppm phosphate for 3.5 months and 3 bottles of waste away in the past 5 weeks. I think I finally broke the Chrysophytes as it’s starting to come off the rocks

However- it’s being replaced by green algae. I got excited when I saw a few tufts of nice long GHA but 10 days ago they disappeared and this stuff came on very strong

Very dense- feels like moss- but also spongy, hard to pick off by hand. Very hard to remove with a brush. Very short green hairs, around 1/4-1/3”.

Cuc and my tang and foxface ignore it

Any ideas?
60C349A0-773E-4404-9A4C-E77C302EBD35.jpeg
E4007D41-B187-4DB4-88CC-0EEDF8AEDAF3.jpeg
801F6B31-2198-4454-B7B5-05D23C3EACAE.jpeg

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant doesn’t do well with turf algae. Didn’t do anything at all for it in my tank. Fluconazole knocked it out in 2 rounds and never came back.
Thanks man

You might remember me from my Chrysophytes battle. Nothing worked. I drove nitrates and phosphates up and did consistent scrubs and now it’s starting to recede. 6 months. Uugghh

Where can I get fluconazole? Last I looked it was hard to get

Thanks

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tanks different. Vibrant worked for my turf issue, and fluconazole did nothing even after 3 rounds.
That’s not good to hear...

I already feel crappy I dosed chemiclean for cyano before, now I’m looking at an anti fungal and a bacterial blend that occasionally crashes tank.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Vibrant as a maintenance item about once a month if needed. It works great. But..... it can bottom out your nutrients and cause problems. It happened to me in the past, but I learned from it. I do not know of any I’ll effects from fluconazole. I would use it first for that reason alone. If it doesn’t work for you, then I would try Vibrant. Just my opinion and personal experience.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally I can help with something I know well. I was about to start a web page selling turf algea in place of corals.

I had Dino, cyano and then turf algae. Vibrant worked somewhat for the Dino. I had to go thru Vibrant, tons of hermits and snails, and Dr Tim’s before I found FluxRX. I used it with great results. It say it takes 10-14 days. At day 10 I was worried since I still had some left. 16 days and then a water change and now algae free. Every experience is different, but Fluxrx worked for me.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant doesn’t do well with turf algae. Didn’t do anything at all for it in my tank. Fluconazole knocked it out in 2 rounds and never came back.

I had the exact opposite of your experience. Fluc worked well for my bryopsis but did nothing for the turf algae. (Turf under the bryopsis)
I did multiple rounds and even kept it in the system for months and the turf algae just started to take over even in the sand bed. An accidental overdose of Vibrant took out the turf algae in 12 days for me, even the sand bed is white again.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact opposite of your experience. Fluc worked well for my bryopsis but did nothing for the turf algae. (Turf under the bryopsis)
I did multiple rounds and even kept it in the system for months and the turf algae just started to take over even in the sand bed. An accidental overdose of Vibrant took out the turf algae in 12 days for me, even the sand bed is white again.
Well that sucks, because I just dosed flux yesterday.

I’ll uodate the thread in a couple weeks, once something happens (or not)

Thanks.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that sucks, because I just dosed flux yesterday.

I’ll uodate the thread in a couple weeks, once something happens (or not)

Thanks.
I think the take away is some of these work for some tank, and some don’t. I think it’s best to start w fluconazole as it won’t bottom out your nutrients and open you up to dinos as vibrant can. Follow the instructions all the way thru. If it doesn’t do the trick, I would give the tank a rest before you jump in to vibrant.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back