Shortening the metal hanging bracket cables help

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are braided wires, probably 2-3 mm in thickness. I need to figure out how to shorten them so the lights aren't hanging so close to the water, but I have no idea how to even start. Potential worries

1) All 4 will need to be shortened the exact same length.
2) Don't want to wake up to a light sticking out of the tank because the brace/bracket/knot came undown and the light came crashing down as a result
3) Also had the idea of mounting an arm under the shelf and then screwing the brackets directly into the wood so the lights can slide in/out from a wooden bar, rather than hanging from the wires. This will still be a couple of days, so even if I go this route I will still need to know how to shorten the cables.

Thanks in advance!

1656346577141.png

1656346849623.png

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into something like this as it's adjustable. You could cut your cables easy enough with decent side cutters but you would have to cut the loop at the top as you'll need the ferral (?) on the bottom to stay attached to the light. You could then raise or lower them by adjusting the loop at the top. But then your would need a way to secure the loop possibly with zip ties or stainless steel wire. Another option would be to add wood to the existing top wood to lower the anchor point. There may be better options but beggers can't be choosers ;) I would still look at something like this tho

Screenshot_20220627-131000_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Wallace11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't done this myself, but you could possibly cut the cables and use a cable clamp to make a new loop. Not sure what diameter your cables are - so may need to check which clamps would work.

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done this myself, but you could possibly cut the cables and use a cable clamp to make a new loop. Not sure what diameter your cables are - so may need to check which clamps would work.

The lights are 5.5 lbs - so two of these would definitely support the weight, yes?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back