Shot in the eye with Paly juices :/

Cherry Bomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one time I didn’t wear my freakin glasses! Those things have amazing aim. Right in the eye with a good amount of juice. ;Blackeye

Ripped of my gloves and ran for the sink where I flushed my eye out by hand with tap water.
Was experiencing some mild stinging and eye lid twitching. Stinging could have been from the tap water and the twitching could have been from stress? I was trying not to panic at this point. :eek: ;Nailbiting

Ended up in Emerg where everyone thought I was a weirdo. Try explaining being shot in the eye by a palythoa zoanthid that could possibly have unknown levels of palytoxin to a bunch of people who have NO idea what I was talking about.

Got in after a very short wait and luckily the doctor on knew a bunch about wilderness toxins, so I think he may have had some fun researching while I flushed my eye with saline for 10 minutes. That was after having my eye frozen and dye dropped looking for damage.

Was told of a rat study where they dropped palytoxin in the eyes of poor rats resulted in sick rats but none died, which was comforting. The rats showed symptoms 4 hours after being introduced to the toxins.

Was given a Ekg before leaving (was there 2 1/2 hours by this point) and told I can wait or go home and call an ambulance if there was even a hint of flu like symptoms.

Was entered into a medical journal as no other cases were in there.

Today is the 2nd day and my eye is slightly bloodshot, a little irritated and there is one really red spot on my eye. So lucky!

Moral of the story- ALWAYS wear your glasses. :oops: I was trying to rush a quick frag and am super thankful it wasn’t worse than it was. Angry Paly was a Mohawk Paly.

OP
OP
Cherry Bomb

Cherry Bomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up with my eye super red. Going to saline flush and patch it. If it gets worse, will go back to the Emerg :(

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxins mainly attacks your respiratory system and heart.

If you aren't having breathing problems and your blood pressure is stable, I think the worst is behind you.

7weeks ago I scrubbed unwanted palys off a LR with a toothbrush underwater inside the tank.... the toxins absorbed thru my skin and fir 3-4 days I felt like I had the Flu, trouble breathing, zero appetite.

If you're sight is ok, breathing ok snd your BP is normal.....you're on the way to recovery.

OP
OP
Cherry Bomb

Cherry Bomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scary! Glad your ok! The doctor said to watch for flu-like symptoms but even if I did have them, they would just treat the symptoms. Not much they can do but ride it out. That’s why he gave me the ekg. The cardiologist was like “you got something in your eye but why am I checking out your heart” lol. I think I taught some people some things the other day.

I just don’t want it to affect my vision. I’ve done some more reading and most people say it gets worse before better. 3-4 days. Some were prescribed antibacterials just in case it was something bacterial from the tank. If it gets bad, I’ll get some prescribed drops.

Palytoxins mainly attacks your respiratory system and heart.

If you aren't having breathing problems and your blood pressure is stable, I think the worst is behind you.

7weeks ago I scrubbed unwanted palys off a LR with a toothbrush underwater inside the tank.... the toxins absorbed thru my skin and fir 3-4 days I felt like I had the Flu, trouble breathing, zero appetite.

If you're sight is ok, breathing ok snd your BP is normal.....you're on the way to recovery.

ry

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non-medical suggestion:
Try over-the-counter antihistamine eye drops or allergy pills, ask the pharamacist.

OP
OP
Cherry Bomb

Cherry Bomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the mend. Eye is still red and surrounding area tender. What a doozy! Been using eye wash in the morning and night.

23178F74-5766-4DD0-B4A7-F817545DF095.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back