Should corals open or close when feeding?

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!
When feeding my goniopora PhytoFeast, it closes up, but when I feed AB+, it does not.
Should it open or close when being fed?
Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you target feeding the PhytoFeast? Sometimes things close from the blast from a baster.

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you target feeding the PhytoFeast? Sometimes things close from the blast from a baster.
I target feed both, but certainly not blasting it. I'm Using a long dropper so I can control the squirt o_O.
I mix my reefroids and ab plus together so that the coral eats the ab plus as well.
How to you know they're eating it? Are they closing or staying open?

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to target feed so that the water flow moves the food to the coral and it doesn’t close. My personal view only since I’m no expert is the corals open to feed so when they close up they are not taking in much of anything. So try to target feed in the gentlest way possible. I usually target feed half what I give the tank then dump the rest in on feed mode to give them all 2 chances to get a bite. I’m curious too to hear what anybody else does.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first feed the AB+. Wait a few minutes for the corals to open up (especially the scolys) and then feed the Reef Roids and small brine shrimp.

Back