Should I add another Tang?

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have an adult Chevron Tang in my tank that is my favorite fish. Aside from the Chevron I have all Anthias and a few Chromis - everyone gets along just fine. I recently went to a larger tank and I've been thinking about adding either a Gem or a Powder Blue tang. I've had a Powder Blue in the past - however I've never had a Gem. I guess I'm looking for a Tang that would be "more likely" to get along with the Chevron - anyone one have any thoughts?

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Powder Blue may be too aggressive, but I think the Gem Tang could be ok. Other tangs that might get along would be Orange Shoulder, Scopas, or any of the Bristletooth Tangs. They are usually peaceful.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this for a Reefer 425 (90 gallon)? I would stick to one. A gem would fit better. I wouldn't put a powder in a 4' tank.

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Powder Blue may be too aggressive, but I think the Gem Tang could be ok. Other tangs that might get along would be Orange Shoulder, Scopas, or any of the Bristletooth Tangs. They are usually peaceful.
I was thinking about a Koi Scopas Tangs - maybe I'll go that route. Though like the Gems they get pricey.

wenliu51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a little heated over here re tank size.

tang1.jpg

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id have to agree that neither the gem or actually your current chevron tang are good to have in that tank as a forever home. They all get too big. Get a yellow tang instead? Powder blue are also downright nasty tangs, you really dont want those. Not that yellows are any better, but they only get nasty when they have claimed the tank so I would just buy a young one and let it settle in and work his way up from the bottom of the totempole.

I would rather recommend the Convict tang/Atlantic Blue or a Tomini tang. I think those will fit great in that tank forever since they dont get over 8-9" and they aren't aggressive as yellow/purple or powders.

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Id have to agree that neither the gem or actually your current chevron tang are good to have in that tank as a forever home. They all get too big. Get a yellow tang instead? Powder blue are also downright nasty tangs, you really dont want those. Not that yellows are any better, but they only get nasty when they have claimed the tank so I would just buy a young one and let it settle in and work his way up from the bottom of the totempole.

I would rather recommend the Convict tang/Atlantic Blue or a Tomini tang. I think those will fit great in that tank forever since they dont get over 8-9" and they aren't aggressive as yellow/purple or powders.

Thanks for the feedback. I had a Powder Blue 15 years ago and was never a problem - had him until I took my tank down. Seems like I got lucky based on all of the feedback and posts I've read. Yellows are definitely off the table. I've thought about the Tomini's before. I'm still undecided as the Chevron isn't going anywhere - I got him as a Juvenile about a 18 months ago and he's pretty much full adult colours now and that's what I really like.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back