Should I avoid buying anything used?

For my new build, I've picked up 80% of my new electronics used. I don't see the point in getting a new PM1 module (for example) when I can buy a used one for a fraction of the price and have the same result. Anything that requires high maintenance to keep optimal (pumps, skimmers, etc.) or has an expected operational life under 2 years (heaters, bulbs, etc.) I avoid buying used.

I'm looking to save some money and willing to accept some risk of unexpected failure, but there's a limit. That would be my suggestion; determine what level of comfort you have with accepting risk and use that as a guide (assume you won't have warranty coverage for used equipment - sometimes you do, but safer to assume not).
 
For my new build, I've picked up 80% of my new electronics used. I don't see the point in getting a new PM1 module (for example) when I can buy a used one for a fraction of the price and have the same result. Anything that requires high maintenance to keep optimal (pumps, skimmers, etc.) or has an expected operational life under 2 years (heaters, bulbs, etc.) I avoid buying used.

I'm looking to save some money and willing to accept some risk of unexpected failure, but there's a limit. That would be my suggestion; determine what level of comfort you have with accepting risk and use that as a guide (assume you won't have warranty coverage for used equipment - sometimes you do, but safer to assume not).
Skimmers and pumps were the type of equipment I was worried about. My biggest worry is saving a few bucks by buying used but having to replace with a new unit shortly after which would result in bigger spending instead of saving
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new