Should I avoid buying anything used?

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning my first tank build and even though it would be nice to start with all shiny new equipment, I am considering the second hand market to try keep the cost under control.

Are there any pieces of equipment that should preferably be bought new and avoided as used for longevity, cleanliness or any other reasons or is everything fair game?

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never build a system with used equipment, but that's just a weird thing with me. I prefer to know everything about how something was used. That being said, I think to keep costs down it makes good sense to buy used gear. You can save quite a lot doing that.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally I will keep my eyes out for equipment I am thinking about buying on the used forum. Many times you can pick up a few items from someone who is wanting to get rid of a piece of equipment that they are not using anymore. I have purchased powerheads and pumps this way.
Many large items like tanks and lighting fixtures if they are near by me I would do it. But nothing so far has been posted that I want or need. [emoji3]
Saving a few bucks is always a good idea.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought many things used for my new build including pumps, Hanna checkers, a Salinity monitor and an HOB refugium. Personally the only equipment I would be wary of would be LED lights because the diodes only last about five years. I would buy a used black box though because it is easy to change out the diodes. I probably would only buy a heater new as well because in my experience they are prone to fail.

Most reefers take care of their gear it seems. Of all of the equipment I bought, only one pump came really dirty.

OP
OP
Benoit Martin

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id double check everything before buying anything used but i'm not opposed to it, alot of people in this hobby are really careful with their stuff. Just make sure to give anything a good vinegar bath before placed in the tank
When giving a vinegar bath, is a good rinse off with water enough? Are there any other precautions? I'm assuming fish and corals don't care much for vinegar

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When giving a vinegar bath, is a good rinse off with water enough? Are there any other precautions? I'm assuming fish and corals don't care much for vinegar
Id give it a good vinegar bath with a nice scrubbing and rinse it with RO/DI water. Alittle TLC goes a very long way in this hobby ive noticed

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning my first tank build and even though it would be nice to start with all shiny new equipment, I am considering the second hand market to try keep the cost under control.

Are there any pieces of equipment that should preferably be bought new and avoided as used for longevity, cleanliness or any other reasons or is everything fair game?

Honestly as long as you are willing to take the time to properly clean and sanitize the equipment then it can save you a lot of money. The 2 biggest issues are whether the Display Tank is Scratched or Leaks (as both can kill an otherwise sweet deal very quickly). I didn't have a problem with leaks with my used setup but after testing out my LED light over the tank, I discovered this:

So, I have a used sump, stand, protein skimmer, return pump, but a brand new display tank.

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you can find a completely set up system with fish, coral and live rock already established at a good deal that is the way to go especially if this is your first tank.

Starting everything from scratch is a long process and I see a lot of new tanks where there are multiple issues with cycling, algae, getting coral or fish too soon or adding too many at time while not giving the tank time to mature. This leads to a lot of frustration and can often lead to giving up on the hobby all together.

If you are definitely planning on a completely new build, I see nothing wrong with buying used. Just be very careful buying used online. I think in most cases used stuff is advertised online as being in better condition then it actually is and is often overpriced compared to what you could by it for new. I think you have to weigh the risk with how much you are saving.

Anyway good luck with the build and would love to see you do a build thread here on r2r of your progress.

OP
OP
Benoit Martin

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you can find a completely set up system with fish, coral and live rock already established at a good deal that is the way to go especially if this is your first tank.

Starting everything from scratch is a long process and I see a lot of new tanks where there are multiple issues with cycling, algae, getting coral or fish too soon or adding too many at time while not giving the tank time to mature. This leads to a lot of frustration and can often lead to giving up on the hobby all together.

If you are definitely planning on a completely new build, I see nothing wrong with buying used. Just be very careful buying used online. I think in most cases used stuff is advertised online as being in better condition then it actually is and is often overpriced compared to what you could by it for new. I think you have to weigh the risk with how much you are saving.

Anyway good luck with the build and would love to see you do a build thread here on r2r of your progress.
I did consider buying an already established tank but the more I read about the process of starting from scratch the more I think it's part of the challenge and the fun of it. I'm ready for the frustrating parts and the gratifying end result

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Test if possible before buying, if seller can't do that, ask 1/2 his asking price.

Last edited:

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did consider buying an already established tank but the more I read about the process of starting from scratch the more I think it's part of the challenge and the fun of it. I'm ready for the frustrating parts and the gratifying end result
This its a great feeling starting with nothing and slowly have a ecosystem in your house that YOU created not someone else. Just remember nothing good happens quickly in a saltwater reef tank

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say if it's ur 1st tank then go used and figure things out. Or new if u can but low budget. Like me I have a 20g HOB and now I'm going 75g sumped so it's all about the sinerio. But if it's a 2nd build yes new on anything with a probe or can short out or cause metal poisioning like pumps. I'd use an old Neptune but new probes. So it's all circumcuncial to a boing but any metal in the water is new!!!!

EF14F666-06E0-4393-B862-2854DB4C7E87.jpeg

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used is fine. Take your time and find things that are under say 4 years old and under 2 even better. You'll save so much that as long as major items are okay, you can replace a lot and still come out ahead. "Used" fish are the best type to buy! They should be worth double what you pay in a store if all healthy, but they sell for half or less.
My latest system a guy spent close to $8 k on, 2-3 years old, I got for $1400. Sold well over $1k of frags out of it getting rid of corals I didn't want. Heck there is one hammer colony in it that is probably worth more than I paid for the whole thing.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the more interesting aspects of this hobby is the economic side of things. Reef keeping has a substantially higher turnover rate than most other hobbies, so it's not uncommon to see someone that's financially comfortable jump all-in over the course of a few weeks buying top quality everything, only to get fed up with the difficulty and quit the hobby 2 months later, selling everything for significantly less than they paid. At any given time, you can find the latest version of just about anything very lightly used for 35+% off retail on the forum classifieds and CL. This is especially true with the "leaving the hobby" type posts where people are trying to move everything in a hurry. Granted, in some cases, items are beat-up and abused, so it's all about keeping your eyes open and look for something in good shape for a good price.

Personally, I always look to pickup whatever I need second hand and will often snag things up if the price is right, even if I don't have a use for it at the time. There are some things I won't buy used like heaters, supplements, food, or just items that aren't very expensive to begin with though. I have no interest in saving $12 on a used heater or buying some dude's half empty bottle of Reef Roids.

Last edited:

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my latest setup (200gal) is all new because I just wanted all new and could afford it now i'm OLD.
used is the way to go if your trying to reef for the first time.do craigslist first sense people do alot of getting rid of stuff this time of year.i see great deals on tanks weekly in my area.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying used is a great way to save money, but know that most used items come with at least one unexpected/unpleasant "surprise". Not necessarily a deal breaker, but just something to be aware of...

I would probably avoid buying used lights (unless you know the history), and if you buy a used MP10/40/60 look for the manufacture date.

If you ever buy a used tank, insist on seeing it filled with water. ;)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the more interesting aspects of this hobby is the economic side of things. Reef keeping has a substantially higher turnover rate than most other hobbies, so it's not uncommon to see someone that's financially comfortable jump all-in over the course of a few weeks buying top quality everything, only to get fed up with the difficulty and quit the hobby 2 months later, selling everything for significantly less than they paid. At any given time, you can find the latest version of just about anything very lightly used for 35+% off retail on the forum classifieds and CL. This is especially true with the "leaving the hobby" type posts where people are trying to move everything in a hurry. Granted, in some cases, items are beat-up and abused, so it's all about keeping your eyes open and look for something in good shape for a good price.

Personally, I always look to pickup whatever I need second hand and will often snag things up if the price is right, even if I don't have a use for it at the time. There are some things I won't buy used like heaters, supplements, food, or just items that aren't very expensive to begin with though. I have no interest in saving $12 on a used heater or buying some dude's half empty bottle of Reef Roids.

Agreed. Never buy/use a used tank heater, In most cases they run about $20-$35 brand new and the potential risk that a used/malfunctioning heater can provide is extreme (ie killing your entire setup).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back