Should I be concerned about these gaps in the silicone?

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
220g waterbox. The gaps are on the bottom pane.
20210501_115931.jpg

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the lack of responses Is because its hard to tell what's going on in the picture. People also hesitate to say "it's fine" when the consequence is a boatload of water on your floor.

My tank has a few little air bubbles in the silicone, so far no problem.

Last edited:

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ugh that's a tough one.

You will probably never have an issue but having a gap in the silicone like that in multiple places is never a good sign.

I'd contact the manufacturer and give them detailed pics....better than you have here is possible.

They may want to help you out.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be too concerned as the bubbles are on the bottom and not on the water side exposed to water.

still not good and below the craftsmanship Id expect of waterbox. Certainly message them now so it doesn’t become a warranty issue.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better pictures might help but honestly if they’re air bubbles I wouldn’t risk it because there’s a chance it will get worse over time. Probably won’t result in a total blow out but a slow drip is no good either.

Ive been there and the last thing you’ll want to do is wake up at 3am to empty your tank and move your livestock somehow. It was bad enough with my 30 gallon I can only imagine what a 220 would be like.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that the seam may be failing. If you did not notice this when the tank was new and unfilled I would only assume a potential failure. Water Box needs to see your pictures if you are still in the warranty period. Try to take pictures without the blue light with more of a daylight or white setting as it may show the seam better. I have seen this type of thing in several glass aquariums before failure. You might have enough time to get a back up tank like a cheap livestock poly tank for around $100.00 for a 100 gallon tank. I always have a quick unbreakable back up on hand just in case the tank turns into a waterfall.

If it was my tank I would get the back up today!

You mentioned gaps are you able to get a fingernail in them from the outside or inside?

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that the seam may be failing. If you did not notice this when the tank was new and unfilled I would only assume a potential failure. Water Box needs to see your pictures if you are still in the warranty period. Try to take pictures without the blue light with more of a daylight or white setting as it may show the seam better. I have seen this type of thing in several glass aquariums before failure. You might have enough time to get a back up tank like a cheap livestock poly tank for around $100.00 for a 100 gallon tank. I always have a quick unbreakable back up on hand just in case the tank turns into a waterfall.

If it was my tank I would get the back up today!

You mentioned gaps are you able to get a fingernail in them from the outside or inside?
The tank is new. I've had it cycling and planned to transfer my active tank into it tomorrow. I can't get a fingernail or anything into it because it's on the underside.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are so incredibly small I can't imagine that they have any structural impact on this aquarium at all. I think most of these replies are overreacting. I would send the manufacturer a picture to be sure but I don't think you have anything to be concerned about

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place a tissue at the seam between the glass and stand. If it gets wet you have water trapped between the stand and the glass due to water possibly running down the glass as you filled or aquascaped the tank. While this is not ideal you may be seeing the bubbles due to the results of capillary action. Sometimes you can draw out the water by wicking action with dry cotton towels or paper towels. It might not be a bubble in the glass seam at all.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place a tissue at the seam between the glass and stand. If it gets wet you have water trapped between the stand and the glass due to water possibly running down the glass as you filled or aquascaped the tank. While this is not ideal you may be seeing the bubbles due to the results of capillary action. Sometimes you can draw out the water by wicking action with dry cotton towels or paper towels. It might not be a bubble in the glass seam at all.
It's definitely gaps in silicone.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some shots with a light on it.
With the new pictures is doesn’t look like air bubbles which id say could a better scenario. Almost looks like a little too much silicone was trimmed from the excess. Not sure how big of an issue that is but I’d definitely reach out to Waterbox. At the very least if it’s not an issue you can still maybe get a few bucks back and opt to keep the tank

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, looks like a quality control issue on the finished product. Don’t think it is a failure concern but would contact the manufacturer.

The other thing I was thinking was the edge of the glass was chipped/damaged and should not have been used to begin with. When siliconed together you are seeing the chipped edge and the silicone? Wild guess.

paparoof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mark with sharpie ,monitor for growth
No matter what else you, do this. You need to know if the gaps are getting bigger.

If the gaps do not change in size it doesn't really mean much, but if the gaps are growing in size at all, I would immediately implement emergency evacuation plans.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back