Should I be feeding my tank?

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a nano tank that is 13.5 gallons. I have 2 clownfish, 2 anemones, flower anemone, duncans, acans, blasto's and some other misc. lps. My question is how much if any should I feed my tank. I feed the anemones about once a week, and my clowns daily. I have reef roids , coral frenzy, marine snow and also frozen foods. what would you suggest on a feeding schedule. I do not want to overfeed the tank and cause problems such as algae. I do water 5 gallon changes every 4 to 6 days.

TRPlacek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a nano tank that is 13.5 gallons. I have 2 clownfish, 2 anemones, flower anemone, duncans, acans, blasto's and some other misc. lps. My question is how much if any should I feed my tank. I feed the anemones about once a week, and my clowns daily. I have reef roids , coral frenzy, marine snow and also frozen foods. what would you suggest on a feeding schedule. I do not want to overfeed the tank and cause problems such as algae. I do water 5 gallon changes every 4 to 6 days.
It depends how well your tanks eats up nitrates and phosphates. Do you test for these? if not, that's what I would do if I were you. every tank is different. For example, my neighbors tank is only fed 1-2 times a day and has very high nutrients and I feed 4-5 times a day and still have fairly low nutrients.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends how well your tanks eats up nitrates and phosphates. Do you test for these? if not, that's what I would do if I were you. every tank is different. For example, my neighbors tank is only fed 1-2 times a day and has very high nutrients and I feed 4-5 times a day and still have fairly low nutrients.
+1
I am an over feeder but have low nutrients.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you worried about over feeding always test.
First of I would test No3 as it tells you a lot about the total nutrients in the tank.
Having a Hanna low Po4 checker is no luxury "great stocking stuffer :rolleyes:"
I use redsea for No3 and I test daily.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you worried about over feeding always test.
First of I would test No3 as it tells you a lot about the total nutrients in the tank.
Having a Hanna low Po4 checker is no luxury "great stocking stuffer :rolleyes:"
I use redsea for No3 and I test daily.

I also use the Red Sea Nitrate, good test. I use it at least once a week. I also have the Hanna ULR PO4 checker, I love it. It helps me know identify problems. I started adding a new product and saw some algae, sure enough my Phosphate was getting high. Only the Hanna ULR checker can help you detect subtleties in PO4 levels IMO. Other tests don't have the resolution.

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends how well your tanks eats up nitrates and phosphates

That's the best I've heard it put in quite a while. In other words, feeding is limited only by filtration, i.e., nutrient export.

A great analogy I read years ago was a square meter of net was put on a reef to catch floating food particles, and it captured 1 pound of particles per day. That's a few large hamburgers ground up and put in a 100 gal tank, per day.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back