Should I be spreading the control/power among my equipment?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a post that @Ditto used a SA Doser to handle his AWC. His reason was that if there was a problem the system would shut off the plug and that would stop changes. Makes good sense too. At the moment I have been buying all gear to get ran with my P4. Now I'm wondering if having the SA option on things is smarter...

I hate this your screwed if you do or screwed if you don't.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the best things about GHL you have choices to integrate as much as you wish with you P4 or not. Not everything has to be tied to the brain.

I have done both setups, and trust both. The P4 integration on my one tank had everything running through the P4.

The other tank I did quite a few stand alones, maxi, KH and even a Doser to see is it possible and does it all work with the P4e controller doing its job.

You can Not go wrong either which way :)

One helpful hint if you are you are going to power down your maxi that is connected to your controller make sure it the last one In the line of PAB connections and your going to get an error.

On the one connected to the P4 that maxi monitors salinity (virtual probe) and if it says everything is ok does the water change.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the Ion comes out I might make it a SA system.

If the doser on the Ion is a SA can it control my KH and slave doser? Sounds like I can do it that way.

But there is a certain advantage to doing everything in 1 screen. Dilemmas...

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the Ion comes out I might make it a SA system.

If the doser on the Ion is a SA can it control my KH and slave doser? Sounds like I can do it that way.

But there is a certain advantage to doing everything in 1 screen. Dilemmas...

1 screen, but 2 periodic emails coming from the SAs at an offset schedule for say an email from GHL every 2 hours vice every 4? Also, how do you plan on handling dosing?

U

User1

View Badges
Unrelated to GHL but related to your post I ran into an issue just a week and a half back when a car wrecked into a power line which subsequently created an insane power surge into our neighborhood. About 3 times what would normally happen blowing many a home in our community appliances, etc. This hit my Apex pretty hard at first with the energy bar and 1 link layer.

I have three Cor pumps. 2 x Cor 15 and 1 Cor 20. My point about using outlets outside the energy bar is this. I like redundancy thus two return pumps. I also use one of the same pumps for my skimmer. Should something happen I can swap out the skimmer's pump to a return and be back online with two. Anyway I would like to say that I planned this all along but I didn't so 1 core 15 is powering my skimmer, 1 a return, and the Cor 20 is also the return although the one with the longest plumbing.

I plugged the Cor 20 into another wall outlet. The 15's use the 1 link on the energy bar along with the trident. Enter power surge and everything goes dark. 45 minutes later everything comes on and the cor 20 that is plugged into a wall outlet is fine and doing what it should. Tanks has life.

1 link ports are missing in the fusion and local portal so no Cor 15's or Trident. Using the Cor 20 and plugging it into another outlet bought me time to assess the rest of the house and come back to the tank another day. It wasn't until the next day that I was even able to assess the tank and apex system to slowly see what it did, why it did it, and reset it such that the 1 link came back online. Which it did.

TL;DR if I understand you correctly using something outside the bar for critical items is a good option. Especially if you use two return pumps. I think it will help that is not controller specific if that helps any.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have two in-going 230 V AC lines in my setup. The first include among others my P4 unit, my return pump, my skimmer pump and my bio-filter pump second input serve my Wave makers inside the DT. The wave makers power hub is configure to be initial on - it means - if the P4 lose contact (read power) -the outlet is still on. If I lose the first line (read my P4) - my wave makers will still work and if I lose the second line - the return pump will do the circulation job. I also use a SMS unit for alarms. The good thing with using GHL power bars/power hubs to both lines is that I will get an alarm in either case. If i would wish something in the future with myGHL is that it will send out a e-mail to me - if myGHL lose the contact to my P4/P3.

Sincerely Lasse

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back