Should I be Worried with PE Flakes?

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want some feedback and opinions. I just received my order of PE flakes for my nano from a very reputable online retailer (have used them multiple times and still will!), however, the "best by" date is 7/02/2020. That got me worried because there is no way I would use that much food in 3 months to feed two clowns. What also got me questioning was the fact that other food I ordered is best by date is in 2022. Have any of you ever bought PE Mysis brand specifically that have such a close best by date?

Twisted1990s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about the expiration date. I try not to feed flakes at all. Your better off with pellets and frozen meaty foods. Flakes just help pollute your tank and cause other problems high phosphates and nitrates.

Scape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with twisted, avoid flakes, use high quality pellets and on occasions some frozen live or live food, also better to target feed then broadcast feeding the whole tank

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to provide an alternate opinion, I've used flakes pretty much exclusively for almost 30 years and have never had troubles with high phosphates and nitrates. I know other folks with successful tanks who also feed flakes and have the same experience. There's really not much difference in the ingredients between flakes and pellets.

To your original question, the flakes should be fine past the "best by" date on the label, especially if you keep them someplace relatively cool and dark.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to provide an alternate opinion, I've used flakes pretty much exclusively for almost 30 years and have never had troubles with high phosphates and nitrates. I know other folks with successful tanks who also feed flakes and have the same experience. There's really not much difference in the ingredients between flakes and pellets.

To your original question, the flakes should be fine past the "best by" date on the label, especially if you keep them someplace relatively cool and dark.

+1

I've never had any problems with flakes either. FWIW I've got a pair of clownfish that spawn on a regular basis and their diet is almost exclusively flake food.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are pellets any different then flake? Both have the same ingredients.

One is pelleted, one is dried in sheets and cut up.

FWIW I feed mostly flakes, but do have pellets and frozen. My fish prefer the flakes.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That food will be fine months after expiration date, I much prefer flakes over pellets but try to feed my reefs a wide variety of fresh, frozen and dried foods.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back