Should I build my tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Velcro
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2016
Messages
3,276
Reaction score
3,098
Location
Kalamazoo, MI
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i want a 72x24x16” shallow acrylic SPS tank. I’ve had quotes ranging from $1500-2400. Best quote so far was from advanced acrylics for $1500 shipped, non-drilled. Non-drilled is my preference as I will use a ghost style bean animal and have drilled thick acrylic before for this application.

I’m considering building my own tank. Here’s the catch: I’d have to order the acrylic cut to size since I don’t really have a table saw for this type of thing, especially this large of panels. It seems that i can order cut pieces of 3/4” cast from the web for under 1k. This is even with “routed edges” for gluing at an extra cost.

Should i be considering this or should I just pay the extra $500 and have the peace of mind of a legit company doing this? Should I be able to find material much cheaper than a grand?
 
Personally I think it's awesome to build your own tank but if you don't have experience with it or the right equipment to do this I would say just buy a tank chances are there won't be any leaks or cracks if so they will refund
 
Have you built acrylic tanks before? Seems like a big expensive project to make your first expensive lessons on. If you haven't done it before maybe start with smaller tanks/projects before and work up to it.
 
I have built a few tanks and have the tool. Recently I was going to build a medium sized frag tank to take to coral swaps. I went to my local plastics store and got my numbers but when I looked around I found Advanced Acrylics could make me what i wanted for about the same price and I didn't need to spend hours prepping, gluing, finally building...

I would guess that when ordering precut there will a tolerance that may or may not be an issue when assembling.

I would just buy it made to save me the headache factor. My time is definitely worth $500
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new