Should I buy a rodi unit or protein skimmer

Hempknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm new to saltwater and in the market for some tank items been looking around and seen protein and rodi units on sale I don't have either one and was wondering what would be better for,me to get at this time as I can only afford 1 tank has been up and running for 3 months using a canister filter having some issues with red algea and was wondering what would be the better buy at this time (i know I need both)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're on non rodi water now, definitely the rodi unit.
At 3 months the ugly phase is not unusual. If you keep the canister clean every month it should be just fine. I ran tanks with only aquaclear filters for many years.

OP
OP
Hempknight

Hempknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the aquatic life to buddie reverse osmosis system on Amazon would it be fine for my tank I'm not really sure on these things can someone please let me know it is a 4 stage unit

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? If its small enough you could just use distilled water from the grocery store and add a skimmer. I have a 20 gallon and thats what I do. Distilled water is pretty much the same as RODI.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the aquatic life to buddie reverse osmosis system on Amazon would it be fine for my tank I'm not really sure on these things can someone please let me know it is a 4 stage unit
That one is just RO system. If you want to stick with aquatic life brand, get this one. Its RODI, 4 stage.
HOWEVER, if you have the money to spend i'd HIGHLY recommend BRS's RODI systems. The one I linked has an inline TDS meter and some other extras. There is a cheaper $134 version though.

Orangezuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out some of the YouTube videos/posts from Bulk Reef Supply on RODI units.
Yes, they sell them but they do a great job of getting good info across even if it's not about their product.
But I will give them the nod for good info, good products & great customer service!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled water is pretty much the same as RODI.
Its actually not.
Make sure you get the DI stage.

All in your looking at $125 at min for a standard unit i think.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/75gpd...-supply.html?gclid=CI3U2dKIjtQCFYe1wAodzUoHuw

R_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for the rodi first. If you don't start with pure water nothing else matters. You will need a minimum of a 4 stage with a TDS meter. Grab the best skimmer you can when the time comes.
+1

OP
OP
Hempknight

Hempknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at that on Amazon and saw 47 dollars and though I couldn't beat that lol but I'll start looking at 4 stage units and save up thanks

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at that on Amazon and saw 47 dollars and though I couldn't beat that lol but I'll start looking at 4 stage units and save up thanks
If you can swing an extra 50 bucks you might want the one with the TDS meter. Makes it a lot easier to tell if you need to change a filter.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-stage-75gpd-plus-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html
Yup!

Also
.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00204CQF...t=&hvlocphy=9031339&hvtargid=pla-316086433617

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the RO Buddie with the DI attachment and have been for about a year and a half. It does its job just fine if you cannot afford a BRS unit yet.

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely go with the RODI unit first. Best investment in the hobby. If anything, you can build a diy protein skimmer for the mean time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back