Should I Buy the Sicce UV-C Clarifier Kit??

Adam Houston

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 10, 2023
Messages
196
Reaction score
224
Location
Oklahoma City
What state or country do you live in
Oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ReefFam! So as many of yall know I’m still a beginner when it comes to reef tanks and I was hoping to get advice on this new Sicce find. I don’t have much room under my 120 gallon tank and was hoping to mount this in line with my plumbing. I really need a small & compact UV sterilizer and ended up finding this Sicce UV-C clarifier. Does anyone use this style UVC or would you recommend it?

IMG_6780.png
 
Here's a chart from one of the better and trusted manufactures. Flow rate and target along with volume need to be considered otherwise wasted purchase. Don't know the UVC actual wattage of the unit you are showing and might be able to acquire from the manufacturer and then can be compared to chart below. Although no guarantee both will work similarly and perhaps those with more knowledge will chime in. When in doubt, might be best to go with old and proven and having the most applications in use world wide performing said task. Pentair and Aqua UV only current sources I'd consider for what you are intending to do.
PENTAIR UV FLOW CHART.png
 
Thank yall very much for the feedback- I thought this was a little strange that Sicce is advertising a 9 watt for 50-150 gallons and 13 watt for 80-250 gallons when everything I’ve seen on the topic points to a 25 watt being the right size for a 120 gallon tank. I’m really trying to find something compact and under $200 but not having much luck so I’ll keep searching.
 
Looks like this is the closest I have found to my price range so far, has anyone tried one of these IceCap sterilizers?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6791.png
    IMG_6791.png
    285.3 KB · Views: 341
What's the UV-C wattage. What are lamps made of such as low vapor? Besides this forum, what's the user experience with durability and leaks? Reefing unfortunately not the best for buying based on price because in the end it might ultimately cost more than penny saved early on.

Also, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Pathogen or bacterial control? Can't do both without getting a large enough unit to handle the higher flow needed for bacteria only solved by more wattage at same flow to handle pathogens. That 25w anything isn't solving both for tank desired. Seems useless to solve bacteria and algae and better off getting adequate wattage at lower flow to perhaps reduce pathogens although eradication likely not happening and to be most effective need efficient filtration to reduce particles in flow entering UV otherwise pathogens get shielded by the dust and make the unit ineffective. Why I stopped using one in the 90s once this was understood and why future plans involve using it with proper filtration. Reducing the particles critical to ensuring proper operation otherwise just more wasted money on useless equipment that needs maintenance.
 
The Sicce kit is a clarifier not a sterilizer.
 
I have the 13w on a 80gallon tank and has kept the bacterial blooms at bay and significantly cleared up my water. I really like it
 
I have the 13w on a 80gallon tank and has kept the bacterial blooms at bay and significantly cleared up my water. I really like it
Very nice, I still haven’t picked one up yet but I’m tempted. A little undecided due to mixed reviews and limited space under my aquarium.
 
Very nice, I still haven’t picked one up yet but I’m tempted. A little undecided due to mixed reviews and limited space under my aquarium.
I think it’s a good stepping stone towards running full out UV. I never ran uv before but now that I got it I’m definitely going to upgrade to the pentair in the future. I’d say give it a shot and if it works out, go pentair and mount on the side of your cabinet in you’re limited on space.
 
A 13w UV sterilizer is severely undersized for a 120gal and likely isn't worth it.
Well now I’m confused..

This chart shows that an 8W UV-C output is good up to 130 gallons, and the Sicce comes in a 7W, 9W, and 13W UV-C output. How is the 9 or 13 watt light not sufficient for OPs tank? I think we are confusing the input power with the actual UV wattage or am I missing something?

This is the chart from Sicce, which seems to roughly align with the Output watts and max aquarium size from the Smart UV chart
IMG_7405.jpeg
 
Its called a Clarifier and that's what it does. I didn't purchase it for bacteria or pests, I bought it to make the water crystal clear and that's what it does. When looking through my Peninsula 135 gal., the water is completely invisible. Anyone who visits comments on the crystal clarity of the water. Buy it for what its for. If you want to treat parasites or bacteria buy a UV sterilizer
 
Clarifier and sterilizer names can be used interchangeably- it’s all about wattage and contact time that determines whether algae or pathogens are being targeted.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new