Should I Buy This?

Royal Gramma Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I saw this filter that could run carbon and GFO at the same time and drastically improve my water quality. It is also fairly inexpensive. However, I've heard that it could take too many phosphates out of the water, and stunt the growth of my hollywood stunner chalice. If anyone clarify whether or not this is true, and if I should buy this, please do so.

Filter: BRS GFO & Carbon Mini Reactor - 5" Single - Bulk Reef Supply

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried about dropping phosphates too low just put less GFO in the reactor. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's usually not ideal to mix GFO and carbon. You usually want GFO to tumble in the reactor, but carbon shouldn't tumble.
Also if you mix them you may deplete one before the other causing you to have to throw away usable media.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried about dropping phosphates too low just put less GFO in the reactor. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's usually not ideal to mix GFO and carbon. You usually want GFO to tumble in the reactor, but carbon shouldn't tumble.
Also if you mix them you may deplete one before the other causing you to have to throw away usable media.
Partially right, but not totally.

This reactor is designed to mix the 2 together. The idea behind tumbling GFO is so it doesn't clump together. The carbon you do not want to tumble as it will grind itself to dust, and carbon dust can create it's own problems.

With mixing the 2, you keep the GFO from clumping together(carbon particles mixed in to prevent clumping), and the carbon from grinding against itself.

Mixing the 2, you can deplete one before the other, but there is no way to tell which one is depleted before the other. You just end up throwing both away.

I've used this reactor for years, and started mixing the 2. Worked great. I now only run carbon in it, as I have no need for GFO.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that reactor on my 40g cube, and it works just fine. I do alternating layers of GFO and carbon. Just adjust your GFO amount based on how high your Phosphates are. I have the dual version for my 120g, but currently only running carbon in it, since PO4 isn't an issue.

Speaking of which....what are your Phosphate levels?

OP
OP
Royal Gramma Man

Royal Gramma Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Partially right, but not totally.

This reactor is designed to mix the 2 together. The idea behind tumbling GFO is so it doesn't clump together. The carbon you do not want to tumble as it will grind itself to dust, and carbon dust can create it's own problems.

With mixing the 2, you keep the GFO from clumping together(carbon particles mixed in to prevent clumping), and the carbon from grinding against itself.

Mixing the 2, you can deplete one before the other, but there is no way to tell which one is depleted before the other. You just end up throwing both away.

I've used this reactor for years, and started mixing the 2. Worked great. I now only run carbon in it, as I have no need for GFO.
Alright sounds good. I don't have a phosphate problem but I've wanted to get into running carbon. Thanks for the info!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great little reactor for just carbon if your using on a tank under 100G. Over 100G, you just can't put enough carbon in it(1TBS per 10G, and the reactor can only hold like 10TBS's).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
GFO which is an oxide is very strong and has adverse effect on many corals. A couple of teaspoons are adequate as others mentioned will strip your phosphate

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back