Should I change my mp40 to gyres?

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the new gyre xf350 released I was wondering would it be worth changing my 2 mp40 to 2 gyre 350? Tank is 120 gallons with mixed reef, probably 10 sps. Main concern is my tank is eurobraced and what the cord will look like coming out of the tank. Or should I stick with what I got?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a personal preference decision.

I have two MP40's that I have had for 6 years now and they are still running strong. I cannot say that about any other pump/powerhead I have purchased. It would be hard for me to switch them up given such strong performance.

I did add a gyre to my frag tank in addition to an MP10. Definitely makes the flow more chaotic with them both on random; however, I'm not sure I'd just want a gyre without alternating flow patterns. Just my opinion though!

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal preference for sure.

I started my 180 reef with a gyre, albeit an earlier version. I honestly didn't like it... One of the problems seemed to be small snails in my tank ended up getting jammed in the paddles. I replaced these multiple times. I also had one that had a problem with corrosion at the cable... The company replaced it... but... I still had issues. I finally had enough and replaced it with MP40ws and have been happy with the Ecosmart Live Cloud app that allows me to program different flows and intensities throughout a 24 hour period. Not sure if that is possible with the new Gyre or not. For me, the MP40ws have been rock solid... and much more reliable than the earlier version of the Gyre.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I am happy with the mp40’s other than 1 dry side is making a lot of noise, but Ecotech is replacing it. If switching I would use 2 gyres and their wireless adapter to program alternate flow like I do with my mp40’s. If it’s truly just preference and no benefit then I will stick with my mp40 because I love no wires in the tank and having an extra wetside makes cleaning a breeze.

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 MP40's and 2 XF250 Gyre's in my 5' Reefer 650 and prefer the Vortechs. They are pretty much silent and I like no power cords in the tank. I may end up switching the Gyre's out for MP60's in the future. In my experience Gyre's are loud over 50%. I also had a first gen Gyre croak on me after a couple of years. My Vortechs are over 5 years old and still going strong. I have changed the wet sides and upgraded the controllers to QD so there is still money to throw at them but servicing has been a piece of cake compared to the Gyre's. My honest opinion being I own both, your mileage may vary.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 MP40's and 2 XF250 Gyre's in my 5' Reefer 650 and prefer the Vortechs. They are pretty much silent and I like no power cords in the tank. I may end up switching the Gyre's out for MP60's in the future. In my experience Gyre's are loud over 50%. I also had a first gen Gyre croak on me after a couple of years. My Vortechs are over 5 years old and still going strong. I have changed the wet sides and upgraded the controllers to QD so there is still money to throw at them but servicing has been a piece of cake compared to the Gyre's. My honest opinion being I own both, your mileage may vary.
Thanks that’s good to know!

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both, gyres on the back and vortechs on the side. I like the flow I have with them together but as others said the gyres are loud. I mean really loud over 50%

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone that has had all three major Wave Makers, Vortech, Gyre, and WAV, I can tell you I choose the Vortechs...
The Gyre's were a real PITA to clean. WAV's were too strong for my display tank on low settings.

Vortechs super easy to clean, and no wires in tank.

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone that has had all three major Wave Makers, Vortech, Gyre, and WAV, I can tell you I choose the Vortechs...
The Gyre's were a real PITA to clean. WAV's were too strong for my display tank on low settings.

Vortechs super easy to clean, and no wires in tank.
I definitely like the no wires and easy to clean! Looks like I will stick with what I have. The new gyre claim to be silent and easy to clean. I like that supposedly they can be placed higher without the vortex normally created by my mp40’s.

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 2 MP40 quiet drives because I couldn't wait any longer for the XF350's to come out. And I'm glad they were delayed, it probably would have been too much power for what I needed anyway. And like they said above the ease of cleaning the MP40 helps make the decision for me. 5ft tank, no dead spot, and no food ever left in sand. My CUC probably hates it.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One could also make the argument that the driver sticking on the outside of the tank is ugly... Either way, I like the fact that I can just take the wet side of Vortech out of tank with ease. It works for me.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video's are cool... Also I get full Apex Control over the Vortech's with a WXM module. Not sure if you get that with new Gyre. Most likely only Variable Speed Port with a module.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back