Should i colour my acquarium back or not??

Rahul1129

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i colour my aquarium back or not?? If Not, Which colour should i paint it??

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will probably get a lot of mixed answers on what color to go with. I feel its more of a personal preference. Blue will usually make the tank itself pop out while going black tends to make the fish and corals stand out. I personally did blue on my tank. Pic in my avatar <=== :)

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use RustOleum Enamel oil based paint on it. I would say either black or very dark blue for color. As for applying it, you can use a glass primer, but I didn't like the hazy appearance it left on a test tank so I went with paint only. To apply it, use a very short knap roller and go very light on the first few coats and be sure to give it a few hours in between each one for the paint to dry. The paint will adhere much better and be more uniform when done. It may take 5-7 good coats to get total coverage and may take 2-3 days to fully cure. Then you can seal it with a silicone based sealer to protect it from the salt water and be sure to run a thin bead of silicone around the back bottom trim on the tank (if your tank has it) to stop salt creep from developing and working up under the paint.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above, rustoleum is the way to, it will take several coats, when you paint it you will see why, doesn't matter if you get high glass or flat as it will all be high gloss when its done due to the glass.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like black better than blue. Had both...

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always just used plain black latex paint and a roller. Takes 3-4 coats, but it works fine and lasts a long time. My last tank was a 140 and the latex lasted for 12 years (until I tore the tank down) and no peeling whatsoever.

Black is my preference, because it helps hide equipment, like overflows and power heads. I have even run black PVC inside the tank down the black back wall (for closed loop bottom returns) and you really had to look closely to see it.

OP
OP
R

Rahul1129

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always just used plain black latex paint and a roller. Takes 3-4 coats, but it works fine and lasts a long time. My last tank was a 140 and the latex lasted for 12 years (until I tore the tank down) and no peeling whatsoever.

Black is my preference, because it helps hide equipment, like overflows and power heads. I have even run black PVC inside the tank down the black back wall (for closed loop bottom returns) and you really had to look closely to see it.
I was thinking the same

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had done it to my tank. Not really possible now though.

Has anyone used the film coats that you put on with a squeege? Can you put one of those on a set up tank with limited clearance in the back?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Has anyone used the film coats that you put on with a squeege? Can you put one of those on a set up tank with limited clearance in the back?
My Reef Savvy has a black film on the back. Not exactly sure what Felix uses.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mine is black which highlights and brings all coral and occupants forward.
A tip especially for resale purposes- I have Black construction paper from walmart which is $. 97 and is water resistant !!

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I set mine up with window tint film with the include squeegee. Worked perfect.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black. Just what I like. I've had blue and printed film and I just like black. The circulation pumps and return jets don't stand out nearly as much with black as they do with any other color.
20180921_205002.jpg

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also use 5% automotive window tint. Just be sure to use the 3M or other high quality stuff. To get it completely black, apply a second layer over the 1st after it has completely dried and the glue has time to set.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back