Should i consider dosing vibrant

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef was getting very nice coralline growth 5 months ago. My tanks been up for about a year. Ive had this kind of algae for as long as i can remember. Not a lot of it but its there. Im getting no corralline growth on the rocks but am on my corals plugs. Would vibrant help me with this. My astrea snails dont seem to be helping. I have good flow. My phos stays at .03 and nitrate 1ppm. Corals are growing and happy. Heres what my rock looked like before and after. I really miss seeing the corralline grow. Ive tried using a turkey baster but cant blow this stuff off.

B9EBA2CE-AE2B-4D76-96D8-1063364C6DFC.jpeg
503CB224-14DB-4D87-B63A-CE771C493A12.jpeg
46EA5C3F-72F1-4C5E-BF46-30C8B59917E5.jpeg

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that you need to watch with vibrant is that it will PLUMMET your nutrients to 0 if you overdo it. I used it aswell and due to my mistake of not checking my phosphates i astarted getting dinos which you never want to go through trust me. Have you though about getting an urchin? They are amazing at eating algae specially GHA. Or you can go the safe route and use fluconazole whicj is also amazing at getting rid of GHA although its better at killinh bryopsis.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sand bed in the first pic is suspiciously clean , also someone correct me but that doesnt look like coralline in the first pic, more like cyano. Is that early on in the tanks life?

Vibrant works but can cause more problems if not careful. I dont understand when people post such low nutrients, how are you measuring that?

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sand bed in the first pic is suspiciously clean , also someone correct me but that doesnt look like coralline in the first pic, more like cyano. Is that early on in the tanks life?

Vibrant works but can cause more problems if not careful. I dont understand when people post such low nutrients, how are you measuring that?
The first pic was from when i first started the tank. Im getting the phos from the hanna ulr and nitrate from nyos.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that you need to watch with vibrant is that it will PLUMMET your nutrients to 0 if you overdo it. I used it aswell and due to my mistake of not checking my phosphates i astarted getting dinos which you never want to go through trust me. Have you though about getting an urchin? They are amazing at eating algae specially GHA. Or you can go the safe route and use fluconazole whicj is also amazing at getting rid of GHA although its better at killinh bryopsis.
Ive thought about a urchin. all my plugs are secured like 30 plugs in there or something. I just need to find one. Is this gha i have? Its very hard for me to remove.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a tuxedo urchin work in a 29g

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tuxedo should work in that size of tank. Just make sure you have some where to rehome when it takes care of all the algae. A lawnmower blenny would also help with GHA, and can also eat regular pellets/flakes.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tuxedo should work in that size of tank. Just make sure you have some where to rehome when it takes care of all the algae. A lawnmower blenny would also help with GHA, and can also eat regular pellets/flakes.
I have a lawnmower blenny, he always has a fat blenny. I saw they have pincushion urchins on algae barn.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I would consider using Vibrant for is Bubble Algae since nothing else worked for me. I would not use Vibrant for anything else. As others have mentioned, it's tricky and you really need to test often when dosing it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took one look at the tank and am certain you should not dose anything at all, you should fix the algae directly, outside the tank, vs inside the tank, by lifting your rocks out and doing a special step to kill it, not just brush it off

the reason you have algae isnt due to a bad param, we can see that detail in the pics posted. you have no systemic param issues, you are growing exactly the amount of algae a balanced reef with no grazers and totally hands off a year would grow. do not zap this tank, clean it our way, the right way for max longevity.

i assure you doing what the oldest nano reefs in the world do isnt a waste of time here. vibrant touches all actors in the reef, targets and non targets

our way handles those rocks like reef teeth

they have gum areas that dont need the profi angle

and they have a few spots that do. we'd scrape, rinse, peroxide the spot, rinse, put back, and non targets were never harmed at all.

consider your sandbed, are you going to clean it or let it store up just the same until prompted for action

we could do a nice catchup top to bottom rip clean here, for strong effect on the tank.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vibrant has its uses, such as 600 gallon tanks you can't directly access for cleaning.

anytime you kill something with vibrant, its death mass compounds. we clean out that mass vs compound it and change it into GHA by august. then cyano, by December.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs said they would set aside a tuxedo urchin for me. All my frags are glued so i think it should be fine.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a plan in case he eats all your coralline and skips the spots u need/ handy planning.

nobody ever starts with direct algae control, but they'll wind up there on the 2nd or 3rd iteration of the tank :)

practice when simple early invasion is really ideal/

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to do it the natural way before adding any chemicals into your tank.

What does your CUC consist of? Thinking a few turbo snails will do the trick to mow down the algae

Are you using RO/DI water with a tds of 0?

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to do it the natural way before adding any chemicals into your tank.

What does your CUC consist of? Thinking a few turbo snails will do the trick to mow down the algae

Are you using RO/DI water with a tds of 0?
Ya i am using rodi, my meter is still reading 0. I have 2 skunk shrimp 3 nassarius snails, 8-10 astrea snails.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a plan in case he eats all your coralline and skips the spots u need/ handy planning.

nobody ever starts with direct algae control, but they'll wind up there on the 2nd or 3rd iteration of the tank :)

practice when simple early invasion is really ideal/
Ya i realized that the urchin will eat all types of algae. I just want to get more coralline. I saw people seeding their tanks by blending some large flakes or coralline and blending it together. The algae just maintains a itself. The problem is i cant really find some large flakes coralline.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back