Should I cut this frag to save it?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total SPS newb here. I'm having a go at SPS in one of my tanks. I have this acro frag that is turning white at the base. It has browned as well but I'm more concerned about the white base. Algae is starting to grow so I assume it dead there. Should I just cut it at the bottom of the live portion and glue it to a plug and hope for the best? I have quite a few other SPS frags and this is the only one showing this concern. I know Phos is high so I'm thinking that my be the reason for the browning and am working on that as well as bringing nitrates up. Parameters are SG 1.025, temp 79, NO3 5ppm (I recently brought that up using sodium Nitrate as it has been pretty much undetectable for over a year) cal 400, mag 1500, Phos 2.2 (down from 4.3 last week) I don't test nitrites of ammonia since the tank has been running over 3 years. 20220615_183944.jpg

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd cut it a little above the dead and glue direct to rock, or to a matured frag plug. Not a new plug.
Just curious as to why not a new plug? Not doubting just trying to learn as I go. I have a container of rubble in my sump so I can make a plug from a piece of that.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious as to why not a new plug? Not doubting just trying to learn as I go. I have a container of rubble in my sump so I can make a plug from a piece of that.
a new plug will just gunk up super fast and cause algae to suffocate the frag.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total SPS newb here. I'm having a go at SPS in one of my tanks. I have this acro frag that is turning white at the base. It has browned as well but I'm more concerned about the white base. Algae is starting to grow so I assume it dead there. Should I just cut it at the bottom of the live portion and glue it to a plug and hope for the best? I have quite a few other SPS frags and this is the only one showing this concern. I know Phos is high so I'm thinking that my be the reason for the browning and am working on that as well as bringing nitrates up. Parameters are SG 1.025, temp 79, NO3 5ppm (I recently brought that up using sodium Nitrate as it has been pretty much undetectable for over a year) cal 400, mag 1500, Phos 2.2 (down from 4.3 last week) I don't test nitrites of ammonia since the tank has been running over 3 years. 20220615_183944.jpg
What is your par? I assume your talking about the blue tort?

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your par? I assume your talking about the blue tort?
Yes on the tort. It was at 230 on the rock where it was. I moved it to the rack yesterday and it is now at 300. Lighting is a xr15 pro gen 4 on a aquatic life 24 inch hybrid fixture running 2 blue+ and 2 coral+ bulbs. Measured with an apogee 510

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes on the tort. It was at 230 on the rock where it was. I moved it to the rack yesterday and it is now at 300. Lighting is a xr15 pro gen 4 on a aquatic life 24 inch hybrid fixture running 2 blue+ and 2 coral+ bulbs. Measured with an apogee 510
I agree with the others, cut above the dead zone and reglue.
I also was going to say up the par on it. I recently got a Oregon tort. It came from 450 par led(I think) and I'm up to 330 where it is. Hasn't lost the color yet but my polyps are not extending either.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others, cut above the dead zone and reglue.
I also was going to say up the par on it. I recently got a Oregon tort. It came from 450 par led(I think) and I'm up to 330 where it is. Hasn't lost the color yet but my polyps are not extending either.
Thanks. I'm working on raising the par slowly but am not getting what I expected out of the radion. I'm running AB+ at 80% along with the t5 bulbs full blast as the fixture isn't dimmable 9 inches off the water. I'm going to be changing the aquascape in the future so will get some rocks up closer to the lights or add a second radion if needed. I'm glad I invested in the par meter or I would just keep killing stuff. It's amazing how fast the par drops in the water.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
The reason is that a frag plug that's been in the sump for a while will be biologically active, which will potentially help the frag - same reason as attaching direct to rockwork in the tank.

A new frag plug that is just wet will not have anything beneficial on it.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th

The reason is that a frag plug that's been in the sump for a while will be biologically active, which will potentially help the frag - same reason as attaching direct to rockwork in the tank.

A new frag plug that is just wet will not have anything beneficial on it.
Thank you very much for that explanation.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back