Should I cut this red milli?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all. I'm pretty much an SPS newb. I got a batch of frags a week ago and they all looked good. So far all but the red mili are still looking good. I noticed some algae growing on it which I believe means a dead part. I've attached 2 images. I'm wondering should I cut the nub on the upper left where the algae is off. The other picture, not as clear has some brown that looks like it is extending down lower that just the nub on that side so that has me concerned if I should cut it even lower. Like I said I'm a newb but have read so many post about people cutting bits and pieces and saving a coral. I don't want to cut it if I shouldn't but I also don't want to just sit back and watch it die, which has been my stance in the past but I'm trying to do better. Well I'm also spending a lot more money on corals so that builds a bond :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Or am I worrying about nothing?
20221010_203548.jpg

20221010_203721.jpg

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it'd hurt to cut that nub off. If you pick it up and look under the nub and there is just a small amount of death you might be able to get away with removing the algae and dropping a bit of superglue gel over the dead part? Sometimes it's just a matter of a shaded area that kills a spot off.

Cool looking piece!

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Smite I got up this morning and the algae is gone . Maybe my old eyes are failing and it was just a stray piece that got attached and worked its way off :thinking-face: Must be time to schedule an appointment with my optometrist. Either way thanks for the advise. I was going to go the super glue route but glad I waited.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Smite I got up this morning and the algae is gone . Maybe my old eyes are failing and it was just a stray piece that got attached and worked its way off :thinking-face: Must be time to schedule an appointment with my optometrist. Either way thanks for the advise. I was going to go the super glue route but glad I waited.
Hey, that's the best outcome possible! Glad to hear it

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. Clump of hair algae got wrapped around it. I’ve seen that kill tissue locally in my acros if left. Usually the flow will dislodge but doesn’t hurt to tweeze it off.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back