Should I frag this piece or leave it be?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the poor images. I have the frag that went from looking like this 20230812_191055.jpg

To this in 2 days
20230814_102249.jpg

That was a week ago and there is still part of the base hanging in there after a week and even showing a slight bit of extension. I'm new to sticks and wonder if I should cut off the dead part or leave it be? This is what it looks like today
20230822_134922.jpg

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just leave it. The top is still algae free which is a good sign for it. Even if the top goes eventually...as long as the base remains it can bounce back. If and when algae takes hold of any of the white parts I would cut accordingly. Anyone want to add to this?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Here one a little better in case. I don't known how the heck people get some of the shots they do using a phone :thinking-face:
20230822_144744.jpg
that's gunna be a goner, sry...

when taking phone pictures make sure you are parallel with the glass as much as possible, and using lighting filters on app when possible or using a physical filter can help too, but I prefer using on board camera adjustments.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's gunna be a goner, sry...

when taking phone pictures make sure you are parallel with the glass as much as possible, and using lighting filters on app when possible or using a physical filter can help too, but I prefer using on board camera adjustments.

I agree, there's very little chance of survival. Seeing how white the skeleton is, it seems that this is rtn. You can try to clip off the healthy, but in my experience that doesn't help.

I vote leave it alone. I have personally had better luck doing it that way.
Thanks all. I figured it would be a goner. It's not my first first one to do this but it's the first time I've had one that didn't loose all tissue down to the rock right away so thought I would ask. I'll leave it in for now. It's not hurting anything and it's in the bedroom so I don't have to worry about someone asking me where I got the pretty all white coral :smiling-face-with-tear:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I figured it would be a goner. It's not my first first one to do this but it's the first time I've had one that didn't loose all tissue down to the rock right away so thought I would ask. I'll leave it in for now. It's not hurting anything and it's in the bedroom so I don't have to worry about someone asking me where I got the pretty all white coral :smiling-face-with-tear:
if you really want to do something I would cover everything up to the healthy tissue with super glue, sometimes it can stop the stn/rtn I've saved a few, with super glue

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just leave it. The top is still algae free which is a good sign for it. Even if the top goes eventually...as long as the base remains it can bounce back. If and when algae takes hold of any of the white parts I would cut accordingly. Anyone want to add to this?

I agree, there's very little chance of survival. Seeing how white the skeleton is, it seems that this is rtn. You can try to clip off the healthy, but in my experience that doesn't help.

I vote leave it alone. I have personally had better luck doing it that way.

if you really want to do something I would cover everything up to the healthy tissue with super glue, sometimes it can stop the stn/rtn I've saved a few, with super glue
Just figured I would post an update. I ended up cutting the dead part off and am pleasantly surprised that the piece is slowly growing back. Never give up hope if algae isn't growing I suppose. This is the prettiest red piece I have. I wish I could remember the name :thinking-face:
PXL_20240126_195602565~3.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back