Should I frag this piece or leave it be?

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2019
Messages
20,727
Reaction score
33,715
Location
Ashland Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the poor images. I have the frag that went from looking like this 20230812_191055.jpg

To this in 2 days
20230814_102249.jpg


That was a week ago and there is still part of the base hanging in there after a week and even showing a slight bit of extension. I'm new to sticks and wonder if I should cut off the dead part or leave it be? This is what it looks like today
20230822_134922.jpg
 
I would just leave it. The top is still algae free which is a good sign for it. Even if the top goes eventually...as long as the base remains it can bounce back. If and when algae takes hold of any of the white parts I would cut accordingly. Anyone want to add to this?
 
Thanks. Here one a little better in case. I don't known how the heck people get some of the shots they do using a phone :thinking-face:
20230822_144744.jpg
that's gunna be a goner, sry...

when taking phone pictures make sure you are parallel with the glass as much as possible, and using lighting filters on app when possible or using a physical filter can help too, but I prefer using on board camera adjustments.
 
that's gunna be a goner, sry...

when taking phone pictures make sure you are parallel with the glass as much as possible, and using lighting filters on app when possible or using a physical filter can help too, but I prefer using on board camera adjustments.

I agree, there's very little chance of survival. Seeing how white the skeleton is, it seems that this is rtn. You can try to clip off the healthy, but in my experience that doesn't help.

I vote leave it alone. I have personally had better luck doing it that way.
Thanks all. I figured it would be a goner. It's not my first first one to do this but it's the first time I've had one that didn't loose all tissue down to the rock right away so thought I would ask. I'll leave it in for now. It's not hurting anything and it's in the bedroom so I don't have to worry about someone asking me where I got the pretty all white coral :smiling-face-with-tear:
 
Thanks all. I figured it would be a goner. It's not my first first one to do this but it's the first time I've had one that didn't loose all tissue down to the rock right away so thought I would ask. I'll leave it in for now. It's not hurting anything and it's in the bedroom so I don't have to worry about someone asking me where I got the pretty all white coral :smiling-face-with-tear:
if you really want to do something I would cover everything up to the healthy tissue with super glue, sometimes it can stop the stn/rtn I've saved a few, with super glue
 
I would just leave it. The top is still algae free which is a good sign for it. Even if the top goes eventually...as long as the base remains it can bounce back. If and when algae takes hold of any of the white parts I would cut accordingly. Anyone want to add to this?

I agree, there's very little chance of survival. Seeing how white the skeleton is, it seems that this is rtn. You can try to clip off the healthy, but in my experience that doesn't help.

I vote leave it alone. I have personally had better luck doing it that way.

if you really want to do something I would cover everything up to the healthy tissue with super glue, sometimes it can stop the stn/rtn I've saved a few, with super glue
Just figured I would post an update. I ended up cutting the dead part off and am pleasantly surprised that the piece is slowly growing back. Never give up hope if algae isn't growing I suppose. This is the prettiest red piece I have. I wish I could remember the name :thinking-face:
PXL_20240126_195602565~3.jpg
 
Wow. I really thought you were going to lose it. Great job!
 
1/7/25 Update. This piece never really thrived and a few months ago again it started looking like it was starting to die off tho not RTN or STN.
PXL_20240126_195602565~5.jpg




I was able to pop the plug off and moved it into my acro tank. It seems to be very happy there after a couple of months.



PXL_20250108_023122312~2.jpg



It's been kind of a fun journey for me with this one.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new