Should I get Maroons or Occelaris for my BTA?

staylor1490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a 70 gallon tank and I'm set on having a clownfish pair host in an anemone. I want to get a bubble-tipped anemone and ideally an Occelaris (loved Finding Nemo as a kid) but I know that BTAs aren't a natural host for them and they may never host in a BTA at all, even with training.

Currently, I'm debating whether I should get a pair of Maroons instead of Occelaris. I know Maroons are twice the size of Occelaris and much more aggressive, but if that's the best choice for my tank I'll get one. I'm not too hot on tomato clowns and am ambivalent on Clarkii. The tank will be mixed soft corals, LPS, and maybe some hardy SPS and I'm thinking of stocking some firefish, a melanus wrasse, and a dwarf angelfish of some sort but that is not set in stone. Which clownfish species should I get?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to you as both will work. If you added maroons I would add them last as they can become very aggressive. Adding maroons will also leave you with a pretty much guarantee that they will charge your hand whenever you put it in. Ocellaris are much more peaceful but still some can be very aggressive as well, just lower chance than maroons.

I find leaving them in a small acclimation box with one of the anemone splits gives clownfish a much higher chance of them going into the anemone pretty quickly. After you put the anemone (or ideally whole rock that it was on) back where it was. Or sell the anemone split if you can

OP
OP
S

staylor1490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to you as both will work. If you added maroons I would add them last as they can become very aggressive. Adding maroons will also leave you with a pretty much guarantee that they will charge your hand whenever you put it in. Ocellaris are much more peaceful but still some can be very aggressive as well, just lower chance than maroons.

I find leaving them in a small acclimation box with one of the anemone splits gives clownfish a much higher chance of them going into the anemone pretty quickly. After you put the anemone (or ideally whole rock that it was on) back where it was. Or sell the anemone split if you can
Yeah I was afraid that after adding Maroons I couldn't add anything else afterwards without extensive trial and error.

What about introducing the BTA to the tank first, have it find it's desired spot on the rockwork, then surrounding the general area with some netting and introducing the clownfish into the netted area? I'll open the net slightly to feed.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get them at the last time that should work, but might not work it you get the anemone earlier as they tend to move rock and you arent really sure where they will end up (could be on a small rock or a giant one unable to net off). After a week they should be in already and ready to get out.
If this is your first anemone you really shouldnt do that though because they can stress out from this and perish. It is easier with splits because they already are doing well in your tank.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple ways that might not be guarantees but may work. You can use the clownfish tube method like I will link below. You can also add pics of clownfish with anemones on the sides of the tank (i know its stupid but I actually think they try to find their own for protection this way).
You can always try the anemone/clownfish blocked off or in a container "method" later.

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a pair of ocellaris (black storms) and they're like little puppies, they follow me around and swim up to my hand when i'm doing maintenance. but even though my tank is covered in nems, they refuse to host in any of them and just wiggle around in a corner at night time to sleep. if what you're looking for is to see clowns in an anemone, i recommend maroons, but if you want friendly fish i would go with ocellaris

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a 70 gallon tank and I'm set on having a clownfish pair host in an anemone. I want to get a bubble-tipped anemone and ideally an Occelaris (loved Finding Nemo as a kid) but I know that BTAs aren't a natural host for them and they may never host in a BTA at all, even with training.

Currently, I'm debating whether I should get a pair of Maroons instead of Occelaris. I know Maroons are twice the size of Occelaris and much more aggressive, but if that's the best choice for my tank I'll get one. I'm not too hot on tomato clowns and am ambivalent on Clarkii. The tank will be mixed soft corals, LPS, and maybe some hardy SPS and I'm thinking of stocking some firefish, a melanus wrasse, and a dwarf angelfish of some sort but that is not set in stone. Which clownfish species should I get?
My maroons have been perfect community members and went to the bta's almost immediately and both were captive bred. They do get huge though. Personally a rose bta and maroon pair is my favorite. Mine were both small when I got them (5 years apart) and haven't bothered any other fish. Maybe I got lucky . 70 gallon is fine for them. Mine stay within a foot of their nems most of the time. Occelaris may not ever go to a BTA. My female will sometimes bite my hand but not often.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back