Should I get neon gobies (Elacatinus oceanops)?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1655862230181.png

A pair of neon gobies (Elacatinus oceanops) was always on my wishlist for fish, though I am beginning to question whether I should purchase them given their relatively short lifespan. Is it true that they only live between 1-2 years old, or would they live longer in a captive setting? If it's true that they do not live for very long, are there any similar-looking alternatives that would live longer, like other species of Elacatinus? I'm not looking for another cleaner animal (I already have two cleaner shrimp, Lysmata amboinensis and Lysmata debelius) and my display tank is a 40-gallon planted marine tank.

Future tankmates include, though are not limited to:
Chromis cyanea (x1) (already in quarantine)
Chromis viridis (x1) (already in quarantine)
Ecsenius stigmatura (x1) (already in quarantine)
Gobiesox punctulatus or Gobiesox strumosus (x1)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably your best bet...

"This species is short-lived, so choosing captive bred Neon Gobies is a wise choice so you know you're receiving a young specimen."

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From everything I can find, all Elacatinus have a lifespan of 12-18 months, possibly 2 years if captive bred.
But you can still get them... Just figure replacement costs into you budget :)

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably your best bet...

"This species is short-lived, so choosing captive bred Neon Gobies is a wise choice so you know you're receiving a young specimen."
Good to know! Thank you!
Certainly not the same fish, but if you're open to a longer-lived fish with similar color and personality, you might consider the Blue Gudgeon Dartfish (Ptereleotris heteroptera)
Thanks for reminding me of this fish! I considered it a while back and the coloration is gorgeous, but seems to grow a bit large though.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if they have a different lifespan, but I've got a couple of sharknose gobies which look almost identical and I've been very happy with them. One of the few fish that is really 'interactive' by default, as when you come up to the tank, they'll look at you, give you a wiggle, and then swim over to the glass to try and clean you.

The sharknose gobies have no problems getting along with cleaner shrimp, and while most of my fish are too small to want to be cleaned most of the time, there does seem to be some order of cleaner preference for most fish.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! Thank you!

Thanks for reminding me of this fish! I considered it a while back and the coloration is gorgeous, but seems to grow a bit large though.
5 inches, it seems.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, why not get them? They are great little fish, colorful, active, inexpensive, get along with others, cool to see them clean other fish, and they usually come up to the glass when you approach.

It sucks to lose fish but you cant expect to never lose any. And if it only lives for 1-2 years, then you gave it a great life.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most gobies live between 1 and 3 years. Elacantinus will live for 12 months if wild caught but they can live to 18+ if captive bred.
As for the Sharknose Gobies, they have a similar life span as Oceanops does.
Personally I’d have another think about it and explore more of the family of Gobiidae.

wtdenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1655862230181.png

A pair of neon gobies (Elacatinus oceanops) was always on my wishlist for fish, though I am beginning to question whether I should purchase them given their relatively short lifespan. Is it true that they only live between 1-2 years old, or would they live longer in a captive setting? If it's true that they do not live for very long, are there any similar-looking alternatives that would live longer, like other species of Elacatinus? I'm not looking for another cleaner animal (I already have two cleaner shrimp, Lysmata amboinensis and Lysmata debelius) and my display tank is a 40-gallon planted marine tank.

Future tankmates include, though are not limited to:
Chromis cyanea (x1) (already in quarantine)
Chromis viridis (x1) (already in quarantine)
Ecsenius stigmatura (x1) (already in quarantine)
Gobiesox punctulatus or Gobiesox strumosus (x1)

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two in a 40 breeder since Feb. 2020. They came from KP Aquatics and were young, about an inch. The larger male constantly chases the smaller if the smaller intrudes into his territory. Outside of that, they don't bother other fish. I have had quite a few over the years. Sometimes, they will swim onto your hand and "clean" it. They will breed in an aquarium. I had a pair that bred every two weeks. They laid eggs inside of pvc and the fry would swim towards the light as soon as the lights turned on.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back