Should I go topless?

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t resist a double Entendre! A “seasoned newbie” here, so I know just enough to really do some serious damage. Building a new tank, it will be my third. (I have 2 Fluval 13.5 , 1 dish 1 coral) Equipment so far: Cobalt C vue 45, stand, single Red Sea 90 light and mount Red Sea 25 gyre, ordered 2 Seltz D replacement pumps. 2 cobalt Neo heaters.
First question: they make a top for this tank, should I go topless or should I add the top?
Can anyone recommend a suitable ATO for this set up?
Any other random advice on this set up would be appreciated.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give you more options then I'd give the Mrs. ;-)

Do you have kids/family/roommates that might not be able to resist the urge to put things in/take things out of the tank?
What fish do you have, and what fish do you want?

Jumpy fish are the primary reason for adding a lid for most folks. I have done the DIY clear mesh tops on my last two systems.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could get you arrested in some parts of the country.....sorry couldn't resist.

The answer depends on what you're going to do with this tank. If I have fish, I will have a top (mesh preferably). I understand the aesthetic reasons for going topless but any fish can jump, not just the ones we think of as most likely.

I'm very partial to the Tunze Osmolator (gotta love the name too) but not so much the less expensive version Tunze makes.

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It Will a mixed tank, mostly coral and a pair of clowns that I have in quarantine for the last 3 weeks. I may transfer a coral beauty from another tank, eventually a few mandarins.

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could get you arrested in some parts of the country.....sorry couldn't resist.

The answer depends on what you're going to do with this tank. If I have fish, I will have a top (mesh preferably). I understand the aesthetic reasons for going topless but any fish can jump, not just the ones we think of as most likely.

I'm very partial to the Tunze Osmolator (gotta love the name too) but not so much the less expensive version Tunze makes.
Tunze Osmolator? Sound like a guitar pedal, I am in!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top depends on livestock and the Tunze 3155 is pretty much the gold standard and is suitable for almost any size tank.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can always use 1/4" square plastic grid (egg crate) to prevent fish jumping whether or not you have any other top in the system.

I built an ATO system using $20 (or so) of ebay stuff that has ran for a year or so now. If you're interested I could lookup the circuit diagram I did for our local club. Or you can just purchase one. LOL

my .02

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instantly depressed without photos of "topless".
1857B34C-E6B3-46BA-9F9C-8F3D6C89C645.jpeg

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what's your list?
Of fish? Clowns, a coral beauty, 2-3 types of mandarins , maybe a hawk fish to pull some reds into the mix. Tang police said I can’t buy a yellow until I actually have a larger tank, not just planning to buy one down the road... though I think it would force my hand and I could tell the wife “I have to buy this 120 gallon Red Sea Reefer, it’s for the fish honey”

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of fish? Clowns, a coral beauty, 2-3 types of mandarins , maybe a hawk fish to pull some reds into the mix. Tang police said I can’t buy a yellow until I actually have a larger tank, not just planning to buy one down the road... though I think it would force my hand and I could tell the wife “I have to buy this 120 gallon Red Sea Reefer, it’s for the fish honey”
of guitars. :D

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes.... you NEED the 120.

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
of guitars. :D
My current collection: Gibson Les Paul anniversary edition, Gibson Les Paul Black, Gibson Sg black (#3 of 600) Gibson j-45 cutaway, Gibson 5 string bass, 93 Music man stingray, Paul Reed Smith silver sky, Martin D-15 cutaway, Yamaha classical, and a few cheap (under $1000) random beaters like a Jackson , Schecter, Takamine,

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even fish that aren't likely to jump, will jump--or maybe it's just me. I had a file fish jump 2 days ago. He was kind enough to land in the trash can 12" away from the tank. My lid's on order. I have no choice as i'll have a predominately wrasse populated tank.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have fish? If so than it would be irresponsible of you to not have a lid. If its coral only I would because it looks awesome but be prepared to deal with a lot of evaporation.

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally you will want to consider the necessary O2 exchange that will need to occur in the tank. I had a Clownfish go tile surfing a while back. If you want to go with a top, recommend the short glass lid or egg crate.

OP
OP
GibsonGuitars

GibsonGuitars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have fish? If so than it would be irresponsible of you to not have a lid. If its coral only I would because it looks awesome but be prepared to deal with a lot of evaporation.
Yes, after the advice above I am thinking Mesh top to stop jumping and an ATO for evaporation. I fear the glass would raise the temp with that Red Sea 90... I think a 50 would have been good enough if not for the depth, so I fear the glass would create a heat trap.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back