Should I keep this algae/moss on my rock or could this be harmful? this is my first time buying live rock and it came with this

OP
OP
C

clxtchsxns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And is that test just nh3 or nh3+nh4 ? If both then need a tan conversion so that 0.5 would be something like 0.05 free amnonia ( toxic)
How toxic is 0.05 I’ve never really had to deal with this and don’t look into it

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How toxic is 0.05 I’ve never really had to deal with this and don’t look into it
According to @brandon429 reef tanks using seneye run at 0.003 -0.005 or something like this.but will let him tell you himself as I have no seneye and don't test amnonia since tank cycled as dont majority of others .
I think when gets to like 0.1 is when starts going into the danger zone for our little fishy friends but amnonia and its toxicity all depends on temperature and the ph,at a low pH it turns into amnonian and not toxic at low levels under 7 pH ( nuetral) but the salts we run in reef tanks makes our salt minumum 7.8 pH and alot tanks run at over 8 pH so more toxic unless something severe happening in the tank like lots organic matter rotting away and drops the pH.
And my understanding is any plant life or corals prefer to use amnonia/ amnonian rather than nitrate as takes more energy to use nitrates as need convert it.and a tank that cycled should be able to process the amnonia that produced from its inhabitants and not really no need to test for amnonia unless Mass fish deaths and corpses rotting in the tank for example as a little extra bit of info

By the way I'm not a chemist and this above is just own personal understanding so if any of it wrong.someone please correct me to help anyone that reads this thread,thanks

OP
OP
C

clxtchsxns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the rock may have some die off. Do a few water changes and give it some time.
Good news the level dropped after I removed the rock and did a water change so now it’s at 0.05 and I expect it should go down to zero soon thanks for your help!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back