Should I randomize my flow more ?

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 36" long and 18" wide my gyre xf130 is set too pulse mode each 0.1 - 0.2 seconds at 40%. Food stay suspended but its always doing a circular motion which doesn't really feel natural. Is it okay? If not what can I do to fix it.

20240127_135511.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its ok, but if you want to fix it, add another gyre on the other side. That way the flow will meet in the middle and bounce off each other to create random patterns

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you might need to reduce them a little, but you'll need to experiment. The flow is completely different when it bounces compared to when it circles the tank like it does for you now.

I use 2 gyres in my 40 breeder (36" x 18"), they are on at 45%, just to give you an idea. However, my tank is 18" deep and I have a lot more rock than you do which breaks up the flow.

I'm sorry, flow is very hard to fix on a tank, and very hard to advise. I tinker with my flow all the time and I'm never happy with it.

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you might need to reduce them a little, but you'll need to experiment. The flow is completely different when it bounces compared to when it circles the tank like it does for you now.

I use 2 gyres in my 40 breeder (36" x 18"), they are on at 45%, just to give you an idea. However, my tank is 18" deep and I have a lot more rock than you do which breaks up the flow.

I'm sorry, flow is very hard to fix on a tank, and very hard to advise. I tinker with my flow all the time and I'm never happy with it.
Il'l look into AI gyre or nero 3

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back