Should I recycle my sand

  • Thread starter Thread starter sbrotty
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

sbrotty

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 30, 2015
Messages
14
Reaction score
50
Location
maryland
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I have a quick question?

One year ago I broke down my 240 reef tank to move. I placed my Aragonite sand in sealed buckets. I placed all I inhabits in a 90 gallon. Today is rebuild time. I checked my buckets with the sand, they still have water at the same level with no bad smell so far. Should I use the sand or buy more.

Thanks for any input
 
Welcome to R2R! I would rinse the sand out very well and then let it dry out before reusing it :)
welcome-gif-13.gif
#WelcometoR2R
 
Just to be different. Get new sand. :))))))) Its so clean and white. It wont be for long, You can get some good first tank shots.
 
Rinse and dry out is fine. New sand is fine. No sand is fine. It all works as long as you dedicate the time necessary for each option.

EDIT: Sorry, I know that's not helpful exactly.. But it's the truth behind all options and opinions in this hobby. It all works, you just need to do whats necessary behind the scenes to keep it working :D
 
Last edited:
Not sure why you would have to dry the sand. I would stir and smell.

If you don't get that H2S rotten egg smell, a quick rinse will do. If it stinks after stirring, I would rinse well and then use.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new