Should I Remove It?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Asm481
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Asm481

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 23, 2022
Messages
304
Reaction score
281
Location
Kenosha
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set this tank up one year ago, seeding dry rock with some KP Aquatics wet live rock. I evidently didn't get all hitchhikers when I put the rock in the tank. I have heard and seen either a pistol or mantis shrimp for the past year. The clicks, about a second between are not to hard to live with. A couple weeks ago I lost my first fish, a fire fish. It was great one day, next it is half a fish laying on the bottom. I made a feeble attempt to get it out dipping it's usual hang out rock in high salinity salt. Obviously I failed.
My question here is, should I tear out the rock again or would it not be the murderer I think it is. How long do they live?
 
You could use a bottle trap instead of ripping everything apart
 
Agree the bottle trap may work better.

If it’s a pistol, it generally should be safe. I have 2 or 3 in my tank from my KP rock and haven’t had issues. If it’s a mantis, it is definitely possible to be a fish killer
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new