Should I replace my sponge with floss?

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Quick preference poll. I have an aquatop recife 40 AIO and have a large 3x3x7ish sponge in the first chamber. I haven't had any issues with it but know it will need to be replaced eventually. I'm looking at the in-tank floss holder and floss pads but could also just buy a new long lasting sponge for cheaper. Is the floss worth the extra money?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquatop 20 had a sponge and I got rid of it and use this basket with floss.
20220110_170103.jpg

OP
OP
R

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the supplied sponges in my Fluval Flex AIO. I opted to replace with the Intank baskets and I now use a roughly 3 x 3 chunk of floss, much the same as @90's reefer. I replace every few days.
Do you miss the sponge or is this an improvement. Guessing it's better than rinsing a sponge every couple weeks?

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you miss the sponge or is this an improvement. Guessing it's better than rinsing a sponge every couple weeks?
I don’t miss it, but in my tank the sponge was a bit of a problem. It allowed water to circulate around my filter media—not through it. It was not the best design choice by Fluval. The Intank basket channels the flow through my media. I expect I could replace it with a bit of sponge, but the flow is convenient and inexpensive.

OP
OP
R

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same tank at 10 months from start until I broke it down. I was dosing esv 2 part and dsr ez trace.
20220126_162914.jpg
20221010_165536.jpg
Yeah I have been wanting to switch to A4R as I am using balance and 2 part reef fusion now. I will switch when they get close to empty.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have been wanting to switch to A4R as I am using balance and 2 part reef fusion now. I will switch when they get close to empty.
Make sure you have alk to dose.
It took 9 days for the A4R to kick in. I had to dose alk for that time period until it stabilized.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use filter felt sheets cut to size which I think is kind of in between... I do wash and reuse them but only a few times till they get too fuzzy and then I replace. But I like that I can stack the felt pieces so I can put 2-3 in at a time and just take out the top dirty one however often I want depending on the tank's state.

I haven't noticed any issues with my water level based on the felt.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had any issues with the floss changing the flow from day to day. Does this mess with any ATO systems or make it hard to determine the amount of evap?
The floss has no effect. I run a tunze nano on this system no effect.
If you change it every few day no issues. I guess if you left it in long enough it could reduce flow.
Just took this on my 20.
20230726_145432.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back